Playing Behind the Eight Ball

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Talk about your senior moments :old!

I was in the hardware store yesterday. No basket so I was carrying several small items (3 or 4) in my hands. Sat them down, at least once.

At the checkout, a new register was opened and the cashier motioned me over from my place at the front of the line. (I grabbed a bag of m&m's for today's pumpkin cookies!)

Sat all the products down and began rummaging in the wallet while discussing the store's Toys for Tots campaign with the guy behind the counter.

IMG_20191213_061540.jpg
He put this sticker in my bag. Charged me for it, too! Where it came from, I haven't a clue. Won't bother to take it back ... What am I gonna do with it?

Steve :frow

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Take it back with your receipt!!! Had you WANTED to buy it and changed your mind, it would be no different. I returned a product to LOWE's last week since I had not opened it and kept the receipt. LOWE's put it back on my credit card, but other stores are Happy to give you a gift card, bc they don't want to give you cash back.
You don't have to give any reasons. In FACT, in our Facebook age TOO MANY OF US give out TMI, and we should retrain ourselves to be Frodo at the gate at Bree, "...our business is our own."
For your edification...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! @ducks4you , are you suggesting that my failings to notice what I'm doing might lead to a scamming alert?

What I imagine is that it may have been on the counter where I had a key made while I went off to find some batteries. I had very little room to set down my packages of a car halogen light bulb and a hide-a-key box. See! I'm trying to do my due diligence!

Anyway, I put original key back on my key ring, and adding the little envelope with the duplicate, gathered my handful of stuff and headed back to the front of the store. Actually, I think the #8 was on the checkout counter when I set things down. No. I wasn't looking for adhesive numbers to stick on something :D.

Steve
whose 20 year history on the internet with all-sorts-of weirdness written by and about him ~ probably amounts to an appreciable scam lure

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice that I didn't say that I made any $ donations to Toys for Tots.

scrooge2.jpg

digitS'
the sticker cost 90¢ - maybe I should take it back!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice that I didn't say that I made any $ donations to Toys for Tots.

View attachment 33911

digitS'
the sticker cost 90¢ - maybe I should take it back!

if it doesn't take you out of your way sometime to bring it back i see no reason to keep it if you don't need it. if you do it before the Toys 4 Tots fundraiser is up you can donate it to them. if not it might get you a cup of tea someplace.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
NO, NO, NO!!! @digitS' !!
I don't think that you have any more failings than I do!!
DeSPITE the lectures from DD's that I haven't ever worked retail--seems like bringing paperwork to people's homes, dressing well and taking the heat that is meant for the lenders isn't ANYTHING like retail--clerks should be helpful.
We make fun of WM a LOT, but DH is happy with them. He gets meds from their local pharmacy and they made it possible for him to get his refill out here in CO this week. Their clerks will try hard to please, and that is how they are trained.
I went in a local store, window shopped and item and slept on it. I went back today to buy it, and the owner barked at me that they weren't open yet, something about not yet counting the money, etc., etc., basically a lecture. I decided that this item was perfect for my DD, who is now housesitting and animal caretaking, so I went back after they opened. This same clerk was all sunshine and smiles, chit chatting with a local shopping there.
I took a lot for me to be friendly.
She Could have said, "Gee, I'm sorry, but we are not open yet. Would you mind coming back in 20 minutes?"
There was no line to buy anything, even when I came back.
I would have had to chide myself if I wasn't friendly, so I left her with "Merry Christmas!" since this is a snobby, tourist town. Can't imagine that they make much money with their overpriced items. Their shopping bag was recycled from the grocery store one town over, instead of the local one. I KNOW bc I have shopped both. Either cheap or poor. Those can BOTH be remedied.
:hugs
Thanks for letting me vent!

Latest posts