Playing tag with the sun

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know many of you love this weather, but I really dislike it. I need to get out into my garden. There are clouds all over the place. If I'm in here, inside, it's behind the clouds. I run out to do something, and immediately my back is baked in full, blazing sun. I know it makes our gardens grow, but I truly wish it would remain 70 degrees all season long. I melt in 88 degrees with 100% humidity. :rolleyes:

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can always get one of those really big umbrella hats!

I wish we were having some warmer weather.

We were all of a sudden hit with the famous San Francisco summer here. Cold, windy and looks like rain.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" attributed to Mark Twain

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got a huge hat. That doesn't keep the sun off the rest of me! Oh well, it'll cool down. Someday.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It does stay 70 degrees year round!

Avg Highs where I live:

Jan - Mar: 64
Apr - May: 66
Jun: 68
Jul: 71
Aug - Sept: 73
Oct: 71
Nov: 68
Dec: 64

Yeah, I know . . . :smack

OK, but that also comes with a zillion people, small lots, high housing prices, etc. So, we all have to make trade-offs to live where we want. I bet that if I was at your place, I'd be jealous of all that space you have to garden!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All that space actually is only .6 acre, but it's my .6 acres! :) Housing prices are pretty bad around here, too, and waaaaay too many people. Even up at our Maine house things are building up. I don't think there's any escape, except in the garden! :watering

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think that's great Reinbeau! I would love that amount of space here, but a lot that is .45 acres with an 80 year old 2 bedroom tear down is nearly 1.5 million, and that's in this down market! While I may have perfect weather year round, 'cept for a few annoying days of the year, I live on a 6,400 sf lot, most of it in the front. My backyard is only 25 feet deep!

So, you may be hot, but when you're sweating out there, remember that YOUR veggie garden/chicken coop area could be like mine - contained to a 275 sf area!

Editing to add. . . I know what you're talking about in MA. We were there in Aug. 2002. We drove in from VT and had great plans to tour Boston the entire day we arrived. But, it was 105 with high humidity. We ended up at the hotel pool (we were outside Boston in Braintree) and never did make it into Boston! Some day. . .

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Reinbeau, move on down to WV!!! :cool: We are having 60-70 degree weather here, no humidity! Having more rain than I would like but, I'll take it! Here in the Eastern Panhandle we have very little humidity, actually. Had to close all the windows yesterday because it was too cool to keep them open! :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed, that's some beautiful country down there. My inlaws live on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee, it's usually pretty nice around there, too. I'd love to move south when we retire, but only for the winter. We'll keep the Maine house forever.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree about the weather, I really hate the humidity.
Backyard, you were only one town away from me when you stayed in Braintree.
There is no way on earth that you want to be in Boston in high temps like that.
I have to head there today for an appointment at my daughter's college.I am already dreading it.
I have eggs in an incubator so I haven't been able to put the fan or a/c on in that room. My husband is griping about when the heck are those eggs going to hatch so I can use the a/c and get some sleep.
Its been hot here at night a few times. I just say, really your hot? I think its fine. I secretly wish they would hatch too, I had trouble sleeping last night.

Beekissed, sounds like a beautiful place to live, you are very fortunate. Good for you.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It gets hot here in the summer, but there's almost never humidity. We all complain like the dickens if it's above 20% in the summer. (Whereas we get a tremendous amount of rain in the winter....in a normal year, unlike the past couple of drought years.)

What I love about my exact location, is that we have a lovely sea breeze, every single afternoon, no matter what the weather. When we have a strange day or 2 without it, we miss it. It drops the temps. several degrees when it blows, too.

I feel for you, and hope it becomes more comfortable for you, soon! :)

Latest posts