Porcini Paradise

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we had a wonderful day on the Washington coast yesterday ..pouring rain ..wind and best off all

I found a porcini paradise!
6185_img_4847.jpg

if you have never taken a 3 year old mushroom hunting on a rainy day ..well ...I am sorry you have not lived!

6185_img_4849.jpg

I could not believe our luck we stumbled on a new patch!

6185_img_4850.jpg

suddenly Chipmunk spotted the biggest one!

6185_img_4863.jpg

he was so proud of this and to hear a 3 year old say the word porcini :)

6185_img_4870.jpg

so we brought them home (along with 3 dungeness crabs and a bunch of bay shrimp that we feasted on)
6185_img_4887.jpg

all sliced up and ready for the dehydrator ...porcini or Boletus edulis or as they are commonly known amongst fungophiles these are actually king bolets ...are much better in my opinion if you dry them first then rehydrate and cook it improves the deep woodsy taste and makes the single best pasta sauce in my world ..more on that later if you like ?
6185_img_4893.jpg

we also spent a lot of time talking about the BAAAAAD mushrooms ..if they look like a pizza do not eat them!!!!
6185_img_4872.jpg

the fly amanita or as the name suggests Amanita Muscaria ..MUST SCARIA!!!!
6185_img_4877.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that is so awesome. the child must have had such a great time. I totally love the outdoor with the children....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow what a wonderful time!

I seen the first two pictures and thought you put fake ones about for fun. But then I scrolled down and saw they are real.

Nice hunting!

Joe

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
no those are VERY real :) if I could show you more I would that place was insane full of all types of wonderful mushrooms I want to go back today but it is a long drive and I have to be a responsible adult and get stuff done today

but what a blast this was ..and all the mushrooms

I can not wait for them to dry so I can make my sauce!

our woods are full of mushrooms as my fellow Puget Sunder's are hopefully finding out!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow HiD,

You are the Greatest Grandma and Teacher in the whole wide world. Aiden is at that age where every word you speak will last him a lifetime. He is so blessed!

You my Dear deserve such wonderful treasures! Grandbabies and Grand Mushrooms! :love

I think you asked on the crab post about me not liking crustacean. It is not that I do not like them, they do not like me, I am allergic. I will literally go Grand Mal with them. It is not really the crustacean in as much as it is an enzyme that I am allergic to. It is the same enzyme that is present in strawberries and avocados!

Huggs, Ron

....but, thank the heavens I am not allergic to Mushrooms! Those are incredible!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great photos, HiDelight.

How fun is that?!!!!!!!! :D

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I so wish I could go back today

we baked sweet potato pie first thing ( for him to take home I am seriously off sugar for a while :p )

and today we have to pick up the yard..wow it is looking bad out there right now weather is ok enough to go face it and stop making excuses

Ron sorry about the allergy that sucks! but you are right on with your avoidance of said things!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, from what I've read, you CAN eat fly agaric if it is boiled in several changes of water or boiled then pickled. Apparently it's used as a steak sauce in Japan.

There's also a nice holiday story about Finnish reindeer eating fly agaric and the Sami shamans drinking the reindeer pee to see visions/hallucinations. Hence the magical holiday flying reindeer. :p It's not actually true though, as the flying reindeer/Santa thing were a part of pop culture before most Americans had half a clue about Finland. But it sounds nice.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh hidelight i am so excited for you and your chipmunk, i know nothing about mushrooms, especially the wild ones! what a wonderful time you guys must of had, those mushrooms really look ceramic to me ..
i have noticed a few different types in my yard, but not like those!!
thanks for sharing, i loved the photos ..

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Hey, from what I've read, you CAN eat fly agaric if it is boiled in several changes of water or boiled then pickled. Apparently it's used as a steak sauce in Japan.

There's also a nice holiday story about Finnish reindeer eating fly agaric and the Sami shamans drinking the reindeer pee to see visions/hallucinations. Hence the magical holiday flying reindeer. :p It's not actually true though, as the flying reindeer/Santa thing were a part of pop culture before most Americans had half a clue about Finland. But it sounds nice.
Awsome!!!! but honestly while some may have it in them ...personally do not want to vomit and seize to find out the purpose of life :)

Chills thank you...the short squat one he holds in his hand ..omg I was so excited it was a mega buzz of endorpins for me

they are absolutely the single mushroom for pasta sauce

they are the "meat" in a perfect red sauce

I may have to go back next week but you know that was one of those perfect moments in life :)

they brought home a huge bowl of shaggies I have to show the picture ..I dried those and will grind them with sea salt

they make a wondeful mushroom salt!

4 mushrooms you can easily learn ..boletes...morels shaggies and chanterelles

but I believe you should ALWAYS learn what kills you before you eat a wild mushroom!!