Preservation of Vegetables in Olive Oil.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is worth remembering that storing non-high-heat-processed things in oil are one of the commoner ways of people giving themselves botulism, on account of the oil providing an anoxic environment for whatever clostridium spores were on your produce or sifted into the container as you were filling it.

I'm not saying don't do it, everyone here is a grown up and can make decisions for themselves about what types and levels of risks they are ok with (although you might be extra cautious feeding that to others)... just sayin', so that you can make INFORMED decisions.

Just cuz methods are traditional doesn't mean they are necessarily the safest.

Have fun,

Pat

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It is worth remembering that storing non-high-heat-processed things in oil are one of the commoner ways of people giving themselves botulism, on account of the oil providing an anoxic environment for whatever clostridium spores were on your produce or sifted into the container as you were filling it.

I'm not saying don't do it, everyone here is a grown up and can make decisions for themselves about what types and levels of risks they are ok with (although you might be extra cautious feeding that to others)... just sayin', so that you can make INFORMED decisions.

Just cuz methods are traditional doesn't mean they are necessarily the safest.

Have fun,

Pat
We refrigerate my mom's recipe. Better safe than sorry!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even refrigeration past a week or so is not so safe, as the botulism organism can still grow at those temperatures, just a little more slowly. Although, again, it is personal choice of course.

Pat

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have to agree with Pat. I was hoping to be able to store roasted garlic in the fridge covered in oil, called my local extension service and was told no way. Preserving anything with any moisture whatsoever in oil is risky. :( But again, that's a personal decision.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

If you heat treat the preserves in a water bath, as you would fruit etc they will safe.

I do this to those I want to keep for long periods. But Pat is right, you must be careful! Many people now have a lower immunity to infection etc.

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts