Preserving somebody elses harvest

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So my garden didn't go so well this year. I was affect by blight/mildew/teenagers/bad planning. So what ever. I won't have much to preserve for the winter.

So I decided to go the farm stand and get some veggies. I am going to fill my freezer with farm stand veggies like squash that are 2 for a buck and eggplants that are a buck so I can have them over the winter. Now I have read the debate on the archives here about frozen squash/zucs. So I figured I will just chop some up and some I will blanch and some I won't. Then I will figure it out.

On a side note I got the idea from Barbara Kingsolvers book. I figure my state/area is not doing so well (oil spill/ship yards closing) and so buying veggies will help the farmer and me.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Summer squash will become a bit mushy when either frozen or canned but they still add both flavor and nutrition to soups and stews.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Obsessed...I think you are doing the smart thing. You would need to buy veggies in the winter anyway, so why not buy when they are in season at it's peak for freshness and flavor?

It feels good to support our local businesses when we can.

Mary

Latest posts