pressure canner

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am thinking about asking my husband for a pressure canner for my birthday. I have only been water bath canning for the past 3 years and am new to canning. My mom made me scared to death of pressure cookers/canners. I want to branch out more in my canning and my husband really dislikes frozen grean beans. I am looking at Presto models because if I ever upgrade my stove I am thinking about a flat top and Presto's can be used on those. I would like to spend around $100 dollars. Any suggestion for a new to canning person who is afraid of pressure canners?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
First, I don't think you can get a good pressure canner for $100. Unless you can find one used. They are very expensive but they last forever.
Secondly, don't be afraid of the pressure canner! As long as you follow the directions they aren't at all dangerous. I haven't canned with one, but I have a pressure cooker that is my very favorite kitchen tool. How else can you cook beans in under an hour (without soaking!) or cook a roast in 45 minutes? It's so simple and I've never had any problems.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got one... it was a little over 200.00 bucks. The All American Canner. It is a beautiful thing! But, I have to tell you- I wouldn't use it, if my Dh wasn't helping. Water bath is just so much easier. I am also sorry to report that canned beans are pretty awful. I basically got the canner for potatoes and beans. The potatoes are out of this world, and the beans, are like, canned beans...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH picked up mine from an estate sale for $25. It's probably from 1965, but I took it to the extension agent to check it, with a new gauge it was good to go!

Lesa, my canned green beans were disgusting too! I thought it was just me, but I guess ones you get in the store must have something done to make them better.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
DH picked up mine from an estate sale for $25. It's probably from 1965, but I took it to the extension agent to check it, with a new gauge it was good to go!

Lesa, my canned green beans were disgusting too! I thought it was just me, but I guess ones you get in the store must have something done to make them better.
Plant beans recommended for canning. Burpee rates them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't canned beans in several years, but they were always very good when I did. They are not going to be crisp and snappy like fresh beans lightly sauted, but slow cooked with potatoes and onions--very tasty. Like catjac1975 said, plant beans meant for canning. I bought a new Presto pressure canner off Amazon for about $80, back in the winter. Haven't used it yet, but I am confident it will suit my needs. Besides the price, one of the deciding factors for me was the weight of the All American canner. I didn't think I could manage it, especially full of water and jars. I know All Americans last for 60 years, but I don't plan on canning when I am 123 years old.
I think the perceived danger of home canning is magnified due to stories of accidents turning into urban legends. I personally only know of one mishap using a pressure canner/cooker. My aunt was pressuring apples, and took the weight off before the steam had dissipated. She had apple sauce all over the ceiling.
You might get an older neighbor or acquaintance to help you the first few times, to set your mind at ease. Or see if your extension office has classes or instruction.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lesa is right, All American is the best but they are a bit on the heavy side, I bought the 19 quart one and I love it. As far as the danger factor goes, if you research the all American you'll see there is no danger of an explosion, those things look like you can store radioactive waste in em...LOL!! :lol:

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. My problem with American Canners from what I have seen is that they can't be used on flat top stoves. I am not crazy about canned beans but ....I will have to look for beans that are rated for canning.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just to let you know I can my beans differently than anyone I've ever met. I live in an area where gardens are a must and everyone cans to store for the winter months. My way of canning is NOT recommended by the USDA but my beans are delicious and I have been eating them this way all my life. I believe it's the vinegar that makes them safe to can and eat. Here it is and use at your own risk, but like I said, my granny's used this recipe for more than 40 years and we're all here and alive. We eat them at least 2 times a month, "we" meaning me and my extending family. We eat Sunday Lunch every Sunday with my granny.

copy & paste from another post

When canning green beans we would always put the "shelly beans" in with them and cook and can them together. I love canned green beans. We would string, break and shell beans. Measure them out in a gallon jug (over filled) which my granny calls a "cooker of beans". Each cooker of beans gets 1 quart of water, 1 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of salt and 1 cup of sugar. We would then cook the beans until they started to wrinkle a little and are dark green (about 20 minutes). Ladle the beans in quart jars almost to the rim. Then "find" the bean juice in the bottom and fill to the top with juice. Put a hot ring and lid on and wait for the popping sound of the seal. Any unsealed jars would be opened and refrigerated and eaten within the next couple of days. No waste. The beans we use were from my great-great grandmother. We grow a section of "seed bean" to save every year. I don't know what kind they are but they grow long "runners" and are very prolific.

I should add we wash the jars and dry them and put them in a warm oven to keep them hot for the hot beans to go in. We put the lids and rings in a pot of boiling water and have them hot too. I believe its for sterilization and it helps seal the jar. I do not know if this is the best way or even safe, but I'm 38 years old and I have canned beans every year with my granny since I was 8 years old.

eta: My granny said they are Indian Runner Beans

to cook canned beans: Open can and drain juice. Put in a pot and cover with water and bring to a boil. Pour off water and put new water and boil again. Ready to eat. You have to boil the vinegar out to get the taste right. No salt or seasonings needed. It's kind of pickled. We also do not water bath tomatoes, yep everyones' still alive and kicking. We can about 200 quarts and pints of each every year.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cityfarmer- I have a glass top stove...I do all my canning on the deck, using a propane turkey fryer. It works out great- keeps the heat out of the kitchen! Just an idea...