Problems Ridding Emergent Vegetation in Pond

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How many times do I need to spray ShoreKlear on Phragmites before I see results?
I've just sprayed for the second time 5 days ago, in perfect conditions, 80 degrees, a stronger solution than the recommended amount I used the first time and still nothing.
The surfactant seems to be working and I see it adher to the actively growing foliage.
Ditto for the Waterlilies. I want those invasive, pretty plants gone, too. Nothing is happening.
When I use Round Up on weeds it shows in a few days, but this has been weeks.
Does anyone have personal practical experience with ridding aquatic emergent plants?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Huh, my personal practical experience has been that it is next to impossible and lasts only about 15 seconds. Sorry to be no help, hope your luck is better :p

Pat

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Pat, I think. :idunno

Other products used for this in addition to Shoreklear are Rodeo and products containing Glyphosates.

A portion of the phragmites seem to be stunted now, so I suppose this is moving in a good direction, but not where I thought it would be at this point, especially after the expense.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I suggest getting a few ducks to chill in your pond for a week or so every year and they'll clear out anything that is trying to grow!!!

:D

Mine eat everything I don't want them to... but so is life!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I suggest getting a few ducks to chill in your pond for a week or so every year and they'll clear out anything that is trying to grow!!!

Mine eat everything I don't want them to... but so is life!
We have Mallards each spring who raise a family and go. The weeds stay!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It took several spaced applications, but over half the waterlilies are gone and the Phragmites is beginning to yellow. The area that I was able to hit with the spray stunted first at 3-4' and those that I didn't hit are 10 to 12'! It will take more than this year to get rid of that stuff.
My pond will look better next year. I'm encouraged, but waiting. :pop

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That must be one scary drake! Do people shudder when they see him coming?! :gig

I'll keep him in mind. ;)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
He's a hungry, growing boy!!!

1003056s.jpg