Pumpkins

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wasnt able to grow my own pumpkins this year, so we went to a pumpkin patch and got some from there. Does anyone know what varieties of pumpkins will have seeds that I can use for next year? Is it true that hybrids dont put out true fruit or are sterile?
The pumpkins I brought home are different types, but I didnt get the names. One is a red type, there is a white one, two blue ones, a small round variety, a medium lumpy one with spots like a gourd, and two larger garden variety pumpkins.

Any advice on whether to bother keeping the seeds on the more exotic pumpkins would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tina/tfpets

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you're not sure if they are hybrid or not, I wouldn't waste my time to save them. Hybrids, may or may not produce and if they do, you don't know what you could get. Although, you may want to save the seeds for roasting as a good for you snack. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The best advice I have for you is that if you want to grow one type of pumpkin, then buy the seeds and don't grow it next to any other type of squash (that includes zucchini and other summer squash), unless you are sure the other squash is incompatible with pumpkins. Then you will know your seeds will always give you the same pumpkins back every year.

If these pumpkins that you got were all grown in the same field, they probably have cross pollinated amongst themselves and the seeds will not be true to the pumpkins they come from.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you want to experiment and would like to try to grow some curious pumpkins, then you may as well attempt growing them. You may get a few out of a large batch that would be true to the pumpkins they came from.

Edited because one cup of coffee just isn't enough apparently. :rolleyes:

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'll try a bit of both! Keep some seeds from these and have the kids add them to their pumpkin patch, and do mine in my patch from store bought or trade seeds.

I accidently grew several 78 pound pumpkins a couple of years ago, so we've been nuts for the things since then! I wanted to add some of the more exotic varieties, but I need reliable seeds.

I had started my plants this year and was hardening about 40 of them outside in my little plastic greenhouse shelf unit when the wind blew the whole thing over and they were crushed! I had Blue Moon, White ones, Big Max, and several others, including several varieties of gourds for my other fenceline. I lost a bunch more later and the pumpkin patch never materialized.

I want to get ready for next year!!

Tina

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse disaster! That would be so maddening. :/

Do you still have any leftover seeds from this year? They may be still viable next spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know the indian pumpkins are great for baking, a smaller variety and true to seed. I need to get some for next year in the garden. They are a paler fleshy colored orange, and usually much more flat them round. They also don't blemish or bruise easily!

That is ALL I ever learned about pumpkins! :rolleyes:

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i always save seeds from mine, most grow very well.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Some of the pumpkins I got are the flatter, round, very defined type, two of them are a bluish color. I was most interested in having seeds next year from them...and also the red one is like that, a deep deep orange with the prominent ridging, and almost flat rather than round....

I will take a look at my seeds and see what I have left.