Puppy likes corn?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone else have a dog that likes corn? Our new puppy LOVES corncobs and corn husks. I always shuck the corn before I bring it in the house, and he inevitably raids the pile and we have bits of corn husk all over the yard. Chewing on corn husks & cobs won't harm him, will it?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dogs always try to steal the cobs from the chickens- if they eat the whole cob, they usually throw it up..My golden will eat corn like a human if you hold it for her!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My vet freaks out about dogs eating corn cobs! she told me she has had to do more surgery to get them out than she would like to!

she noted giving dogs corn is fine but the cobs can cause severe blockage and kill a dog

so I hate to be the type to give bad news but ....no corn cobs for dogs

you can google it I promise you will find some scary stuff

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sure - this is Bogey, the corn cob fan. My husband brought him home from the golf course about a month ago. He's 6 months old, and a bit of a terror.
5763_bogey.jpg

This is our other dog, Spooky. She is the sweetest dog, but hates photos. This is the ONLY photo I've been able to get of her.
5763_spooky.jpg

ETA: Not sure why Bogey's pic is so small. Hope you can still see him.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
they are beautiful dogs!!!

my bully puppy ate a corn cob last year and I just called the vet (I have one you can call!) and asked about it ..since previously my dogs had just eaten it off the cob ..he was such a little piggy when we got him he just tore it out of my hand and swallowed it whole!" he literally inhales food out of the air if he gets a chance!

anyway she (the vet) freaked and told me to make sure he kept eating and pooping ...watch for vomiting ...that if he showed any signs of impaction to get him in ASAP

I watched him he did fine ..I do not feed him corn on the cob anymore he is just too much of a a crocodile mouth to do that!

now a pumpkin is another story they each get a tiny sugar pumpkin when they are ripe and just love to toss them around until they get a hole then they feast on the pumpkin! nothing to worry about my vet said pumpkins are fine! and fun to watch them get shredded!

they eat sugar peas, berries, carrots (when they break out of the yard these days I know they are in the blackberry patch across the driveway feasting on ripe berries ... I just feed them a raw diet of frozen meaty beef bones, frozen chicken and vegetables all raw nothing cooked

if you want to give him something to really teeth on get some raw chicken drumsticks and freeze them solid

the only bones that cause impaction are cooked bones ..raw ones digest perfectly and are very good for dogs...and a raw frozen chicken drumstick is a big treat for a teething puppy!

Latest posts