Puppy shopping

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok, Pyg is 10yo and running around and now wants me to play with her. Her training is perfect and I want to get a puppy soon, so that Pyg can help me train her--looking for a female puppy. I am looking for a German Shepherd mix, no older that 3 months old. Pyg has DH's seal of approval bc she takes care of her kitties and I cannot have any dog that will attack a cat, therefore puppies only and I train to voice commands, no leash needed on my property.
I live in Champaign County, IL. If you live close to me and/or know of anybody that has any puppies ready to go now, or will be ready in the next month, I am interested.
Not interested in:
1) purebred any breed
2) Husky mix. They can be cat killers and I don't think that they listen well
3) smaller than 60 pounds, "Pyg size"
4) overpriced--$250.00 (locally) for Lab mix puppies?!?!? get real...

Ok:
1) Pitbull mix
2) very large dog mix--heard about Great Dane mix puppies, but no link yet

IDEAL:
1) German Shepherd/Border Collie mix
2) German Shepherd/Collie (could be Austrian collie, too)

I would like to find the puppy in the next few months. Willing to pay bc it seems like nobody is giving away puppies anymore. I have contacted my Vet bc she knows that I keep my dogs until they die or are debilitated and need to be euthanized as an old dog.
Further, I have 5 acres, horses and chickens, but my dog lives INSIDE, to protect ME first.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is very sad many kids get puppies for christmas. Many parents have no idea how much work a puppy is. After a few months of puppy distoring things and soiling carpet parents looking to dump puppy. Same with rabbits after Easter

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we were raising rabbits one of the local florists used to borrow a weaned littler for their window display over Easter week, they were not allowed to sell them, in fact I wouldn't sell any rabbits around Easter. Netherland Dwarf babies were a favorite if I had any at the time, they usually only had 3 or 4 in a littler.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea, getting your new puppy while your older dog can be such good role model. Helps to get them socialized to other dogs too. I would be careful getting anything with herding ability bred into it. My sister has a mini Australian shepherd and he has been kicked twice now by the horse and the the pony. He chases the cattle too. Can't seem to learn his lesson. He also "loves on" the chickens, lol.

We'll be excited to see puppy pics. :) I'm going to wait another year or two until my 1-year-old Golden has simmered down. She is nervous/aggressive in some situations. Gotta see what we can do about that. She is very smart and eager to please otherwise though. I'm sure she'd accept a puppy and not be intimidated by it, but I don't want her to be a bad influence on it. We are wanting another pit bull or pit mix. Been a year since we lost Boogie (aka. Sierra). She was a special girl and left a big hole in my heart!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I applaud you for thinking through to the dog that you want to end up with, instead of going all gaga over the first cute puppy you see! Can't wait to see the picts and hear all the 'puppy stories'.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was talking to an old friend yesterday who Might be able to put me in contact with a GS owner very close to us who Might have GS/Collie cross puppies soon. ALL of my dogs since I have lived in the country had herding dog in them. My horses are all used to whatever dogs I have owned. SHE suggested going out with the puppy on a long leash tied to my waist to train not to chase them. She is also a horse owner. More importantly, I need to train the new puppy to NOT go running after howling coyotes. Pyg sticks to me or checks things out but has No interest in the coyotes, so I can do outside chores in the dark without worrying about her.
Thanks for the idea of waiting until the new puppy owners want to rehome. I also contacted my Vet. She knows that I don't dump my dogs.
It is ALWAYS helpful to have your trained dog or trained horse help train in the new one. "Tyke", (TW/QH cross, 1970-1998, RIP) was fearless and he trained my new horses to not fear gunfire or anything else. Toughest horse I have ever met, and every horse he met backed down to him.
I will also clean up the large dog crate and I plan to feed the new puppy in it, closed, to prevent Pyg from stealing food.
Should be exciting!

Latest posts