Purple banana peppers.... What the heck?

MatthewsHomestead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So banana peppers are a fav of mine on all sorts of sandwiches. This year I decided to grow and can some of my own. My four plants have been doing so good and been very productive. The last couple days I haven't really gone out in the garden BC I've had sooooo much farm work to do. I went out today and noticed that one of my plants is turning purple and the peppers have too. What is this and what can I do about it?

MatthewsHomestead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
if they taste good why worry or change anything?

where did you get the plants?
Just seemed very unusual. Wasn't sure if it's disease or something. Lol. I haven't tasted them yet but I'll give it a go. My green, red and yellow pepper plants seemed to have stunted growth. They are not doing good. They all came from the same nursery. I'm thinking that I need to find another greenhouse to get my started plants from or attempt to start my own the next go around. So I'm saving as many seeds as I can from the good stuff.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've had some peppers turn brown instead of red. i think they were supposed to be green. right now i'm waiting for the green peppers to get big enough to stuff. the red ones still have a bit to go before they'll start turning red. we mostly grow red peppers that i like to roast and then freeze.

MatthewsHomestead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My plants are so short and the peppers are so tiny. Before they reach a good size they are rotting. I don't know exactly what to do for them. I've cleared out the invasive cucumbers to give them room..... I don't know if it's the heat or too much sun. Definitely next year I will be planning this all a bit better with trellises and such. Maybe I should water them with my poopy duck water. They day the stuff is good fertilizer! :lol::idunno

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
what is your soil like? are they getting enough water?

sun and heat are usually not problems with peppers. if the peppers are small and falling off that could be a lack of pollination issue or uneven watering or ...

if the garden space is recent the soil may be plenty fertile enough, but this does vary also by variety i've found. like the green peppers we grow seem to do better without too much added fertilizer (i use worms/worm castings and/or green manure as my primary fertilizers) the red peppers grown in exactly the same garden will do better with more added fertilizer. it may take a few seasons and experimenting to find out what does the best with the varieties you plant.

this season i have a row of green peppers growing right next to the red peppers and again they are doing better without any added fertilizers as that garden has been amended a few times the past several years i didn't add anything this year. plenty of red and green peppers. they get full sun all day. some will rot if they come in contact with the dirt. i don't usually mind as there are more than i can ever eat and worms need food too. :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've had some peppers turn brown instead of red. i think they were supposed to be green. right now i'm waiting for the green peppers to get big enough to stuff. the red ones still have a bit to go before they'll start turning red. we mostly grow red peppers that i like to roast and then freeze.
I miss my mom's stuffed pepper what do you stuff yours with ?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy

rice, mushrooms, onions, ground beef and probably some canned mushroom soup which is like the duck tape of soups for us. :)

if you want some more color add a little tomato paste or sauce.

topped by a squirt of ketchup before baking.

rice is usually minute rice and just add some extra water to the mix to account for how much it will soak up during cooking. other rice i like to precook instead of cooking it in the peppers.

we rarely make them exactly the same each time, but that's the general idea.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Out here it’s Carolina clay ....

As for the purple my best guess would be not enough calcium,
and if they have been picked numinous times would say your plants are getting tired..

As for the rot that might be blossom rot once again not enough calcium...
Stunted growth that could be may things, what type of fertilizer you using?

Last edited:

Latest posts