Purple stems on my tomato seedling.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello all, have not posted here in some time but glad to be back. We planted a variety of tomato and pepper seeds in mid March and they sprouted just fine. But they have struggled to grow seems like and the tomato stems have turned purple and under leaves also. When We decided to plant all We had was a bag of garden soil so that was used, not sure if that is the problem. What do you all suggest to do to help these plants get going. P.S hit them with a weak dose of fertilizer the other day may have helped a little

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant is not getting phosphorus. Could be lack in soil. Cold weather will also cause it-stops the phosphorus intake.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
glad to see you back @Collector

did you take any pics of them when they were in the purple phase? i have had a couple varieties that have done that over the years but i never kept track of which ones to be sure if it was the specific type. one that i do remember this happening to was a beefsteak that was mis-marked as a Bianca Rosa Eggplant-seeds even looked like they should have been from eggplants but the seeds grew into tomatoes, good ones too!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
image.jpg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are the plants, they are sweet 100, coyote, sun gold, Shoshone,Ethel Watkins , and gold ball.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant is not getting phosphorus. Could be lack in soil. Cold weather will also cause it-stops the phosphorus intake.
Thank you I thought maybe that was the case. So I gave light fertilizer and also moved them to a warmer room in south window.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
glad to see you back @Collector

did you take any pics of them when they were in the purple phase? i have had a couple varieties that have done that over the years but i never kept track of which ones to be sure if it was the specific type. one that i do remember this happening to was a beefsteak that was mis-marked as a Bianca Rosa Eggplant-seeds even looked like they should have been from eggplants but the seeds grew into tomatoes, good ones too!
I posted some pics, also all varieties. Some I have always had success with , some it is the first time. We have always had good luck starting from seed . This is the first time we have had this issue. Do you think it wise to try to transplant yet?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
give it a try with the phosphorus that Seed mentioned & give a few days. if the seedlings have their 1st set of true leaves it should be safe to transplant them. tomatoes are very forgiving & even just plucking them out of the pots & tossing those aside into a compost area i've had them just spring back to life.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just out deciding which tomato seedlings to move from their community containers to 4-packs ... on their way to individual pots. Some of them have that purple coloring. Some of them don't.

I'm having greenhouse heater problems, Collector. Repeatedly, it has been in the low-50's. Additionally, we aren't getting much sunlight! I'm not inclination to push the heat up much under such dark conditions. Some of the varieties out there are not too happy!

Oh well, it's very likely that they may all turn purple after I set them out in the garden in May. I may have to ask their forgiveness at that time, also.

It's good to know that you are still trying those UofI introductions!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just out deciding which tomato seedlings to move from their community containers to 4-packs ... on their way to individual pots. Some of them have that purple coloring. Some of them don't.

I'm having greenhouse heater problems, Collector. Repeatedly, it has been in the low-50's. Additionally, we aren't getting much sunlight! I'm not inclination to push the heat up much under such dark conditions. Some of the varieties out there are not too happy!

Oh well, it's very likely that they may all turn purple after I set them out in the garden in May. I may have to ask their forgiveness at that time, also.

It's good to know that you are still trying those UofI introductions!

Steve
Thank you Steve, We have purchased a hobby greenhouse 8'x16' which is unheated so things are super slow out there. Yes still trying the u of I tomatoes the Benewah were not over 2' tall but produced tons of smallish fruit the largest were not as big as a tennis ball. Mostly golf ball size but lots of them. I expect the Shoshone to be the same. Next year gonna try the Sandpoint and Bonners. Hopefully the tomatoes perk up a little bit in the next few days

Latest posts