Question about Apple Butter

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all, been very busy and my computer imploded for a while, so I haven't been on in a while. Missed you all! I do have a quick question though:

How thick should Apple Butter be? I am currently making a batch and I quadrupled the recipe for Christmas baskets. It said I could quadrup[le it to make a large batch and just cook it for "several hours until thick." How thick is thick. Are we talking a good jam thickness or butter thickness. I was under the impression that it was a spread (atleast that is what I have gotten in the past from the farmer's market) and not a jam. But, will it thicken in the jar after canning?

*sigh* I know. Nothing like waiting 'till the last moment! :/

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I think I'm almost at that point. Atleast, I hope I am. It's getting late and it's been cooking for 4 hours. :rolleyes:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It won't thicken much of any in the jar, so what you see in the pot is more or less what you get. How thick is a matter of personal taste (and also a matter of how you want the applebutter to taste, since the more you cook it down the more the flavor changes). Just do what you like, really - the applebutter police are not going to come after you :)

Have fun,

Pat

Latest posts