Question about Chinese (Napa) Cabbage

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have any idea why my Chinese cabbage is flowering? The plants are very healthy and have been looking great since I put them in the ground but in the past few days they have been putting on little yellow flowers. They've not started to head up yet. What gives? Should I pinch off the buds and hope for the best? Help!!!

PICT8223-M.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Napa cabbage for the first time and it quickly bolted. I gave it to the chickens. I seem to have a problem with bolting in the spring. My cilantro and bok choy also bolt quickly. I now plant them in the fall when they do great.

Your cabbage does look different than mine. It's probably not the same. Mine had long leaves and the whitish part at the bottom, like the ones you see at the stores.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hate the idea of giving all this to the chickens. What about deflowering them? Will that retard the bolting? But your comment about planting in the fall struck me because I think when I've planted it in the fall I've had great luck with it. But we've had a very cool to mild spring so far with plenty of rain. It could be the garden soil isn't retaining enough water and that's why they are bolting. But none of the other plants seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary. Maybe its something I can only plant in the fall. Thanks!

But if anyone can comment on removing the flowers I'd appreciate it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eat the flowers and the stalks, Jim.

I am sorry they didn't turn out the way you'd hoped but I think you will find that they are tasty nonetheless. I cannot grow Chinese cabbage except under plastic in the spring. I haven't tried them outdoors in the fall but don't think that would work. It is just too arid here in late summer & fall.

The bok choy will also bolt easily. It seems to be a matter of "perfect" growing conditions. If it is too hot or too cold for them, they will bolt. I am happy to eat the flowering stalks but it is kind of ridiculous sometimes if they are only pencil-size.

Steve

Oh, and if you begin harvesting the stalks, you may find that they come back with more that would be worthwhile for the table. That may last awhile - maybe a month.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you plant a new variety (new to you) this year, Jim? I was wondering if maybe that is just not a good variety for your climate?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Did you plant a new variety (new to you) this year, Jim? I was wondering if maybe that is just not a good variety for your climate?
I'm not sure about that. I got it from SouthernStates, our local co-op here in Statesville. They probably got it from Bonnie's, I just don't remember. But I guess Chinese cabbage is a bust this year. Hopefully my Dutch cabbage will head up before the bugs and worms get here so I can make Kraut and Kimchee. It's a shame. But we'll use a lot of it as it is and make the best of it, I guess.

Thanks everyone.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Both day length and temperature can cause any Chinese green to bolt. If the days are getting longer and the temperature is getting higher they will almost always bolt; that's why the shortening, cooling days of Fall are best.
The best Chinese greens to plant in Spring are kailaan or choy sum. You want those to bolt since the flower stalks are the edible part. When they stop producing strong stalks the rest of the plants are relished by chickens and rabbits.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's just it though. We've had a very cool spring with a good deal of rain. Not heavy rain but regular and about 50% of the days have been cloudy or partially cloudy. Temps haven't been out of the 70's at all. We had a few days a couple of weeks ago where the temps were in the higher 70's but on two or three. Just a nice spring. I'm surprised by all this. Disappointed to say the least. I'm going to cut a bunch of it tomorrow and pick through it to get the best leaves and stalks and them cut it up and try to make some kimchi with it. Hopefully I can salvage some of it like that.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you ever tried making Kimchee out of giant red mustard? It tastes great and keeps that beautiful purple red color. It also takes heat better.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, my!!

Pay no attention to what he said! Hoodat?! What he said!

Kof, kof! . . . maybe the red makes it more palatable . . . doubt it! I don't think it is just that I can only eat a forkful or 2 of sauerkraut or kimchee (or a dab of horseradish, smidgen of wasabi :rolleyes:). I like all of those things! Even like mustard greens!

Sour mustard? Nope. Tried that . . . why, I don't know. It smelled wretched! Heat it and it will be better. Hahaha . . . no.

Steve