Question about growing Jasmine

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got so carried away when all the garden catalogs came out this year, that I ordered a few things by whim
Today I received the things I ordered in January-guess that means its planting time. I ordered these knowing they will be inside in the winter, but still have a question
When I read about growing jasmine, I am wondering if I can plant it outside permanently here in zone 5?
The description says it gets really tall!
Also today I received :
a coffee plant
A gardenia
A meyers Lemon
A dwarf Pomegrante
A sweet leaf tree
I researched and pretty much understand the care of all of them except the Jasmine
and ,yup, to quote my hubby, should have spent it on food plants.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well Jasmine is a vine... and its EXTREMELY profuse in the south. It can grow up and cover entire porches!!! It smells WONDERFUL so we do that here a lot on purpose. ;) Now here, my jasmine (there are several types) and my honey suckle are evergreen.

As for Zone 5... you may want to share the 'type' you bought to try to figure that out.

Everything else sounds wonderful, I really wanted a dwarf pomegrante myself. Tell me how that works for you, I may try to order one next year if things get better around here and I have money to spend again. :D

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Well Jasmine is a vine... and its EXTREMELY profuse in the south. It can grow up and cover entire porches!!! It smells WONDERFUL so we do that here a lot on purpose. ;) Now here, my jasmine (there are several types) and my honey suckle are evergreen.

As for Zone 5... you may want to share the 'type' you bought to try to figure that out.

Everything else sounds wonderful, I really wanted a dwarf pomegrante myself. Tell me how that works for you, I may try to order one next year if things get better around here and I have money to spend again. :D
It is called Jasmine Angelwing then under that it says jasminum nitidum

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well that jasmine prefers heat and humidity... like zones 8 and south. I just call it star jasmine here. It does well at a privacy fence or screen and such.

My suggestion is, at least a 5 gallon pot with 3-4 foot trellis for it to climb. Keep it pruned and trimmed to only a couple feet so you can easily move it, and take it inside over the winter. They do not like cold.

I hope that helps some?!

Oh, and put it where people can smell it all the time.... WOW... that stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks vfem, that is what I will do.. I know just the place for it!! And I will enjoy it inside this winter

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have star jasmine and it does smell great! We had a couple low temps this winter around 17 degrees and the tips did get some damage, but it's growing like crazy now.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love Jasmine. It smelly absolutle gorgeous and can only really compete with a gardenia....

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I love Jasmine. It smelly absolutle gorgeous and can only really compete with a gardenia....
And I ordered both....oh I sure hope they work out!!

Latest posts