Question about rhubarb?

Ememasb2010

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a question about rhubarb? I planted some near my bleeding hearts but now I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Please let me know

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bleeding hearts are shade plants mostly, and rhubarb is a sun plant. Other than that I don't know that there's an issue.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can’t bleeding hearts take wet soils? Rhubarb likes well drained soils.

Ememasb2010

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure the bleeding heart would not hurt the rhubarb I have tried growing rhubarb manytime before at places I have lived.this is the first time I have anything coming up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a question about rhubarb? I planted some near my bleeding hearts but now I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Please let me know

if the light and soil are good rhubarb will dominate an area. i have used it as a border plant out back. rhubarb is a full sun or nearly full sun plant and may not do the best if overly shaded.

the first year it may not do much, but keep it watered during dry spells. i've never been able to kill any transplant i've tried. a friend from work gave me some chunks from her plants, and one of the three pieces took off immediately, the other two took a few years to get going and then i had to move them all so i chopped them into four chunks each and moved them. last summer i was wondering if they were not going to make it through the winter, it was so hot and dry and i don't always get water back where they are growing so they died back completely at one point. nope, this spring they popped up like nothing had happened. i see i have to get the flower spikes off it soon.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure the bleeding heart would not hurt the rhubarb I have tried growing rhubarb manytime before at places I have lived.this is the first time I have anything coming up.

Bleeding hearts don't have allelopaths that interfere with other plants growth if that was your concern.
The different requirements of the two are the only issue I see. But if you don't have any other options then there's nothing to stop you planting them near each other.

Latest posts