question about strawberry jam..

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a question about making strawberry jam, I'm only getting 10 to 15 strawberries a day and can't pick enough to make a batch of jam, my question is can I freeze them as I pick them and when I have enough make the jam from the frozen strawberries? :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Frozen berries get mushy... but since you're going to jam them, you certainly can freeze them. Just wash them and cut the tops off before you do! :p

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can, but don't freeze them with sugar (the normal way of freezing strawberries, for most people, as it preserves the texture/color better) because then it's nearly impossible to ensure you get the right am't of sugar added to the jam recipe, and it really matters that you get that right.

Or if you do sugar them, write down HOW MUCH sugar (keep a running tab).

It might be worth looking into some of the micro recipes that make only 1-2 cups of jam at a time, though, as that might let you use them fresher. Or pad the fresh ones out with rhubarb to make strawberry-rhubarb jam which is also delish :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, now to find a good recipe, I'm new to making anything with fruits. My mother did teach me how to can tomatoes the old fashioned way, old ball jars with the rubber gasket and wax, but things have changed, I love the modern way alot better!! :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could toss them in with another fruit? Strawberry-rhubarb jam would be mighty tasty! :drool

Latest posts