Question about zoning and temps

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, I'm zone 4 and understand that. But what about a tag that only says resistant to these temps. Lets say for example -20 below. Is this ambient temp of should I include wind chill?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those zone ratings are guidelines. You definitely have to consider your own microclimate when you are deciding on a plant. Boxwood is hardy around here, but cold, drying winds in the winter will brown them out if not outright kill them. My sister lives a mile away, but her development is like a wind tunnel, she's had trouble placing boxwoods in her garden.

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well I hope I didn't just plant a tree to murder it. It's a pear tree rated for our zone. But we do get killer winds in the winter. Going to get up a tall wind brake/privacy fence so hopefully that will help cut the wind enough.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am zone 4-ish.

My pear tree is doing fine, but I have a 6' privacy fence around my yard. It does get windy, but I am sure the fence and other trees are helping it stay healthy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the drying effect of the wind on the ground and on the foilage is more important than the wind chill. Whether it is chill or drying, wind can be a problem. The wind screen should help either case.

Good luck.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am 5a/5b but many say to call ourselves zone 4 (which we're not lol) well anyway I planted two apple trees last year rated for -20 zone 5, we got down as low as -35 and we had insane wind because we're on a hill. The trees are in bloom and doing even better than last year. I'm wrapping my warm weather fruit trees this winter, mostly my nectarines.

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sounds like it might have a chance after all. Heres hoping!
We're not going to put in a solid wall for a fence. But it is going to have wooden slats seperated by a few inches. Later hoping that I can get some virginia creeper to grow up it. I have tried to get shrubs to grow. The wind here is a killer. 35 mph is just a breeze.
I heard our ag agent on the radio about growing trees here last fall. The intense winter sun we have is the number 1 killer. During the day it heats up the trunks and starts cell activation. Then at night they freeze. I painted my trees with a light latex paint and they did great this past winter. Even my poor little crab apple. I swear that thing has lost height since I planted it.LOL

Latest posts