Question on growing tomatoes inside

lemon_lover

Sprout
Reaction score
So I recently went to our local gardening store and found an adorable miniature tomato plant. Unlike all my other tomato plants that are growing outside, I want to keep this one small and inside. I was just wondering if there was any special treatment that it would need, and if it would still pollinate correctly if there were no other tomatoes or bees near it?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can pollinate the “ovaries” by gently shaking or vibrating the flower clusters. Being self fertile, they only need a little help to move the pollen to the target! Do this as long as there are new flowers coming on. Outside the wind is far more helpful than bees due to the configuration of the flowers.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I recently went to our local gardening store and found an adorable miniature tomato plant. Unlike all my other tomato plants that are growing outside, I want to keep this one small and inside. I was just wondering if there was any special treatment that it would need, and if it would still pollinate correctly if there were no other tomatoes or bees near it?
I've never seen a miniature tomato plant, so not sure what it would take to keep it small. In general, tomato plants do not like to be too moist. I poke my finger down into the soil (just down to the first joint for my transplants; I've no experience with an adult plant indoors), and if I feel any moisture at all, I wait to water.

What Alasgun said about pollination. I've heard some people recommend using a child's electric toothbrush as a means to vibrate the stem.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can pollinate the “ovaries” by gently shaking or vibrating the flower clusters. Being self fertile, they only need a little help to move the pollen to the target! Do this as long as there are new flowers coming on. Outside the wind is far more helpful than bees due to the configuration of the flowers.
Some people use a used brush from a electric toothbrush to help pollinate tomatoes.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I once tried growing a large tomato plant indoors in a pot. It got huge with beautiful greenery, but no tomatoes ever showed up! The ones I grew outside did great. Not sure what the issue was with the indoor tomato!

Latest posts