Questions About Rabbits

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just fell in love with photo of California rabbits for sale on CL. They remind me of a Siamese cat, with their solid colored body and dark legs and ears. How much poop does 1 rabbit produce ? Would a rabbit be happy by its self or do they need a group like chickens? Can they live outside comfortable in NY winter? How long do they live? Any differents between male and female for pet? I have been thinking of getting a rabbit to help improve soil for over a year. Keep thinking do I want another live thing to take care of, till I saw these rabbits.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a single house rabbit, also a Californian.

I couldn't tell you exactly how much poop that they make - but I can say that it is a lot!

You can keep one rabbit by itself, but if you're not planning on spending a lot of time with it you might want to consider at least two. Bummed bunnies aren't fun and have shorter lives than happy rabbits.

As long as you have a warm, sheltered place to keep them - like a garage - I don't see why they wouldn't do fine outside. I do know that unstable temperatures leads to even more shedding than usual (rabbits shed a lot) and some stress.

Our Californian is getting old - about 8 yrs? I'll have to ask a experienced rabbit-keeping friend about how long they usually live.

Males are much more tame and docile than females. The females fight more often with other rabbits than males. The females also seem much more likely to chew your finger off - but this is based on my limited experience with one female. Rabbits can get very tame after a lot of handling.

Mary - "Californian" is a breed of rabbit. Nyboy just forgot the n. :)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Forum Pics 002.JPG

Californian rabbit right there. This is way back when he was young.

Himalayan is another breed that looks like the with lighter markings.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a breed called Siamese if you want that color. Not as large as Californian

Latest posts