Quick-maturing, Flavorful Soup Bean

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What would you suggest?

:)

I suspect that any bush variety would mature early enuf for my garden.

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow navy and pintos. The navy beans are usually ready at about 90~ days and the pintos about a week or so later.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown Pintos before but it has been many years ago. They did fine so Navy beans may work for me.

Back then, one season I grew Soldier Beans and they produced like crazy! I can remember not being real interested in using the Soldier Beans for the table :/.

That has been the extent of me growing dry kidney beans altho' last year I made just a small pot of Rattlesnake bean soup. There has been soy & a failed attempt at growing Adzuki.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you go to the seed store and purchase Navy, Pinto or any other typically dried beans? I don't know if I have ever seen these types of beans in paper packets. I might like to grow Navy beans to dry for winter someday.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I really like the Hutterite Bean for soup. It's creamy and tastes great. It's a bush bean...I got it from Baker Creek.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a "grocery store" type seed resource not far from where I live. I've never "shopped" there personally but if they'd been around in the 1970's, I might have. My brother lived in Moyie Springs at that time. Take a look at their dry bean offerings
shocked.gif
!

Purcell Mountain Farm (link)

They don't have Hutterite in stock but I like what they say about it! Seeds of Change and others have it.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Do they ever have a lot of variety! Now that would make a great drive destination. Seems to me I was planning on stopping by there when I went for my seed potatoes from Ronningers last year, or was it the year before? I forget, but spring really isn't the best time for me to go wandering around on long drives it turns out...I'm so pressed for time, and everything needs doing at once.

But Fall seems like the ideal time for that sort of excursion. And they sure have a lot of interesting stuff.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoo-Hoo!! What a great website for beans! Thanks for the link. The only problem is I don't have much room to grow them. :hit

Steve have you tried Anasazi beans? I haven't grown them, bought them at the store, and they sure are good! They cook in less half the time it takes to cook pinto beans. They are yummy!

Latest posts