rabbits

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:bun :bun: bun I am concerned about bunnies.....last year, what little flowers I had were consumed by bunnies. I had a cat that would escape outside, and that took care of the bunnies in the back, but he rarely hung out in the front yard so they went to town there. Now I don't even have him for protection in the back. He was hit by a car 2 weeks ago. :( I won't have another cat while I live on this busy road, so, anyother suggestions??

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sorry to read about your kitty :hit I lost my garden buddy to the same thing, he came to me an outdoor cat and I tried to convert him, but he would have none of it. My two kitties now are strictly indoors.

As for your rabbit problem, have you tried any of the repellents they sell? I have no idea if they work or not, but it's worth a shot. Speaking of shot, I bought my ultimate in critter control tonight - a Gamo pump pellet gun that shoots at 1,200 feet per second, .177 caliber. That will take care of the little buggers! :ya I'm talking about ground hogs, I'm through with dealing with their damage. I won't shoot bunnies.

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks. :( I will look into repellents....but I really want to stay away from as many "chemicals" as I can. My cat was always an indoor cat until I moved here. Then for what ever reason he would do what ever possible to escape. On one of those occasions was when this happened. He must of been chasing something, because he never usually went near the road and stayed in the back. It was truly heartbreaking. I just won't risk having another cat and have the samething happen to it.

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a lot of rabbits around here. Over the years I have tried many things to keep them out of my garden. The only thing I have found that really works is a garden fence. Sometimes you can deter them for awhile with shiny things that blow in the wind but eventually they will still eat your plants. Bunny's are cute :bun unless they are devouring your garden

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a rabbit problem too. I use the 4' plastic deer netting to keep the chickens out of the garden which worked perfectly fine until the rabbits chewed holes in that. Now, I have to run a roll of wire poultry netting along the bottom to keep the rabbits out.

It turns out that chicken feed attracts the rabbits in my neighborhood. I've caught them in the act of raiding the feeders in the coops and drinking out of the waterers. Some of them don't even run away anymore when I walk in the backyard. I've thought about tossing out blood meal in the flower beds, but I know that will just attract my dogs and the ones that wander through my yard at 3am.

I've resigned myself to growing most of my flowers in large pots and placing those on the front deck and in the flower bed. I have hanging baskets too. (I still plant some flowers in the ground, stuff like impatians) That's the only rabbit-proof & dog-proof solution for me short of SSS!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you think that deer-off stuff will work? I have no idea since there aren't deer here and my 3 dogs take care of whatever else ends up in the yard.

Latest posts