Rain Barrel with no Gutters

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is not difficult to put gutters up. You need two ladders (it is really a two-person job, unless you want to further perfect your swearing vocabulary and take about five times as long as it should) and a laser level and a $10 pop-riveter, and beyond that just basic things you already have like a drill and so forth.

To avoid them being taken down by wet snow, make sure the outside edge of the gutter is at or slightly below an imaginary line extended off the roof (or if you don't like imaginary, take a straight stick, slap it on the roof pointed downwards, and make sure the outer edge of the gutters stays below the part of the stick that is sticking out off the edge of the roof, you know?)

Have fun,

Pat

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It is not difficult to put gutters up. You need two ladders (it is really a two-person job, unless you want to further perfect your swearing vocabulary and take about five times as long as it should) and a laser level and a $10 pop-riveter, and beyond that just basic things you already have like a drill and so forth.

To avoid them being taken down by wet snow, make sure the outside edge of the gutter is at or slightly below an imaginary line extended off the roof (or if you don't like imaginary, take a straight stick, slap it on the roof pointed downwards, and make sure the outer edge of the gutters stays below the part of the stick that is sticking out off the edge of the roof, you know?)

Have fun,

Pat
My husband did my his grandmothers up so I might mention this to him. I wonder how much the material is though?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
patandchickens said:

Have fun,

Pat
My husband did my his grandmothers up so I might mention this to him. I wonder how much the material is though?
It's really in expensive. 10 ft of gutter at lowe's is about $6.50. The joints are only around $2.60 and the down spouts are about $7. It's not much. We just priced ours out... but I just spent $3000 at Lowe's last week... so they're going to have to wait a good while before they get another $1 from me!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At least here, at least last time I priced it out, aluminum was significantly cheaper than PVC gutters (and it is more likely to be rescuable after something Bad happens to it, since aluminum just bends, whereas PVC tends to shatter). But, price it out at your hardware store, don't trust me. Make sure to price the WHOLE THING... aluminum gutter lengths are more expensive than the PVC ones, but the cost of PVC joints etc adds up *real* fast.

Up here, as of last fall, aluminum gutters were something like $16 per 10' length; the aluminum hangers were pretty trivial in price, and you make your own joints using a pop rivets and caulk. Don't listen to me though :p, check your own stores.

Pat

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
I am thinking of buying Lowe's stock.
yup it is that time of year. I know they are going to make a killing off me in the next few months with us getting the new homestead ready :/

As for the rain barrel system, if you are really comitted to making it work you would be better off for sure to add gutters then to struggle to try to make it work without and getting frustrated and giving it up.