Rain Finally!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We just got .7 inches of rain. That on a 30% chance is great! We are more than 10 inches behind this year and I have really been worried about a bad drought and it isn't even summer yet. Our pond that is five feet deep is down to 2 1/2 feet and I am worried about the survival of the fish. We have watered the garden a couple times but that gets expensive. I know a lot of you are having water problems both too little and too much. I guess we just hang in there like we have throughout history.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You said it.... hang in there. We are also behind in rain amounts. We got a brief shower this morning. Not enough.
The yard is beginning to get crispy and we are watering the garden. Not easy to do with it being 2 miles from home with no well. We catch rain from the shed roof and store in barrels, then bucket it to garden. That is not going to last if we do not get some more soon.

I see you are in TN, my cousin is in Hixson (near Chatanooga.)

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We are suppose to have our first monsoon storm tonight . I hope it rains ! They say 20%. but its more likely we will have dust storms Yeck ! :tongue

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just looked at your radar map, desertlady.

It looks to me like you are getting a little rain . . . just about now.

You will have to tell us if that was what happened. (Hot country!)

Best of luck to all of you who need the water!

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Just looked at your radar map, desertlady.

It looks to me like you are getting a little rain . . . just about now.

You will have to tell us if that was what happened. (Hot country!)

Best of luck to all of you who need the water!

Steve
Yay we got some rain ! so far about 1/4 inches but maybe more to come ! so happy !! I mean my garden is sooo happy !!!! :weee

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Retired do you have anything like a fountain or something to disrupt the surface of the water? Even if its something as simple as a submersible sump pump that will cause ripples on the surface of the water it will make a difference. The surface disruption will help with gas exchange at the surface of the water (CO2 leaving O2 entering) the water. Any aquatic plants that are submerged will release O2 into the water as a biproduct of photosynthesis, and will absorb Nitrates (one of the main ingredients in fish waste) so here's to hoping your fish make it through the season.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we finally got rain, about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch. it watered the garden better than the soaker hoses. and besides the pump didn't have to run.:thumbsup by the way we're in south west michigan

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw that storm on the radar its supposed to get us in a few hours....*fingers crossed* I'm in Livingston county by the way

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went to a church picnic yesterday and the first topic out of everyone's mouth was the drought here in S.E. Indiana. There have been pop up storms here and there but not one has hit us in 6 weeks. My pond is down about 3 ft. and walking in the grass is like walking in Corn Flakes. I see a storm on the radar heading our way from the west and, sure enough, it's splitting and part is going south of us and part is going north of us. We're not even into the dog days yet. Bummer.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The rain up here in Michigan has been decidedly odd. first we had more than 3 weeks of heat and drought, then we got a deluge of about 2 inches, then it did it again for a couple more weeks then we got maybe half in inch. Yesterday Grand rapids finally got some rain but by the time it got here it had fizzle to a few drops. I'd already watered my pea and bean garden for about an hour yesterday, have to carry water to the tomato garden today. All I can say is good thing we have a well, I'd hate to be paying for this water.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Latest posts