Rainwater Collection

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have obtained some 275 gallon water totes, in a metal cage. Our plan is to use the totes for aquaponics. I have included info about those totes in "Aquaponics Anyone?"

I have been asked to start a thread on rainwater collection. At risk of being redundant, and to get things started here, I thought I would cut & paste part of my posts from the aquaponics thread.
÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
We recently found out we would have access to 275 gallon, water totes with a metal cage, to raise the fish part of the aquaponics system. We can have as many as we need, for the project, for free.

Our original plan was to get totes for aquaponics. However, in the meantime we ended up with 12" of water in our crawlspace after having 5-1/2" of rain. Long story short, we dug a sump, bought a pump & started pumping the water into the roadside ditch. It just killed me to watch that water going into the ditch.

I had been told, by our extension agent, that it would be possible to get free totes from the county water treatment plant, but it would necessary to go through him, & they must be only for aquaponics.

When I saw how much clean water we were pumping, I called the extension agent & told him I wanted totes to save water for the hot, dry months of summer, to water our vegetable garden. He told me I couldn't get the totes for rainwater collection - it HAS to be aquaponics only, AND I could only go through him.

So, I started looking on Craig's List. I did find totes, but they were charging $100 Each & they were 1-1/2 - 2 hours away

The totes come in 2 sizes: 275 gallons & 330 gallons. We got the 275 gallon size. They measure 38" wide, 48" deep & 48" high.

We really wanted at least 4 totes (2 for collecting water from each side of our roof. We have a cap on the bed of our truck, so couldn't get one, let alone four totes in our truck. So, we talked to our neighbor, who has a 16 foot trailer.

We couldn't afford $400 for 4 totes, so our of desperation, I called the water treatment plant & explained that we wanted totes to do rainwater collection & eventually would use that water to do aquaponics. The man I talked to said, "That's fine." He asked me how many I wanted.

I didn't want to sound greedy, but said we wanted 4 & figured our neighbor would want 2, so I cringed & asked for six. :hide I was amazed when he said, "okay, we have six you can have. When can you pick them up?" I said as soon as my neighbor has the time. It turned out he was able to do it the same afternoon. :weee

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my how wonderful!!! I have wanted a water collection system here for so long. But being we usually get less then 12 inches of water for the whole year, my husband says it is just not "cost effective". I'd use all the water I collected off the roof in a week of watering my garden.

But... who could resist a free system!!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The large totes here on CL go for about $200. I end up buying a couple of blue plastic 55 gallon barrels. last year I hooked 1 barrel to a gutter nailed on to greenhouse. Learned the hard way after heavy rain and empty barrel, make sure facet is in off position. Ny gets a lot of rain hoping to add more barrels this summer. Was thinking of adding cheap goldfish to barrel, so no problem with mosquitoes and their waste fertilizing water.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But being we usually get less then 12 inches of water for the whole year, my husband says it is just not "cost effective". I'd use all the water I collected off the roof in a week of watering my garden.
So true! YIKES! 12" of rain a year! :ep

I used to live in Lake Worth, TX, where the annual rainfall was around 25". :eek: I considered that desert conditions. :th
I also lived in Fresno, CA, as a child. Mostly I remember HOT & DRY! Ugh! Didn't like that.

I'm not sure I could survive on 12" per year! Your water bill must be astronomical!

Unless you could get the totes for free, I would have to agree with your husband about it not being cost effective.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The large totes here on CL go for about $200. I end up buying a couple of blue plastic 55 gallon barrels. last year I hooked 1 barrel to a gutter nailed on to greenhouse. Learned the hard way after heavy rain and empty barrel, make sure facet is in off position. Ny gets a lot of rain hoping to add more barrels this summer. Was thinking of adding cheap goldfish to barrel, so no problem with mosquitoes and their waste fertilizing water.
:lol: I can see myself doing that. I bet you didn't do that more than once!

Putting goldfish in your barrels sounds like it might be a good way to keep mosquitos down. Just make sure you empty the barrels & replace the dirty water with fresh, to keep from killing your fish.

Another way to deal with that would be to set up a simple aquaponics system. I'm not well versed in the details of different levels of complexity. There are simple systems that use aquarium pumps. You might be able to find something a bit stronger, for 55 gallon barrels.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2 small goldfish in 55 gallon should be fine, with just added rain water
You have a good point there. The number of fish would determine how hast the water gets dirty & oxygen depleted. Two fish would definitely take a LONG time to dirty 55 gallons of waters

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The above website has an explanation, for how & why of figuring water amounts. But, here is the equation they give:

upload_2016-3-30_17-55-22.png

Latest posts