Raised bed filler

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Still it is a great idea, dunno why it didn't catch on. I love recycling stuff that doesn't break down well.
You know me. I would post a good idea from 100 years ago that isn't done today. :rolleyes:

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On my beds, I put cardboard on the bottom, then filled them about halfway, maybe a bit more with leaves. I put topsoil on top of the leaves and added several backs of composted cow manure. I've also added peat moss to help loosen up the soil and a wheelbarrow of chicken compost. Mine are still not full to the top, but I will continue added amendments as time goes by.

Love your wooden beds. I had wooden beds last year, but the termites were already having a picnic with them in less than a year. I went with cinder blocks. I'd like to see 'em eat that!

chic rustler

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Right now the potato bed which is full of unfinished compost is doing well. Lots of green coming up!

All 3 beds have sunk 4 inches. I should have plenty of compost before next season to fill them up again

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to buy some bagged dirt last year to build up the lowest rows in my garden. It was from a southern state, Louisiana, I think. I don't remember the bags saying "sterilized" but it probably was. Dark soil, lots of sand and a few small rocks. Certainly, there weren't any weed seeds in there. Or earthworms. It seemed kind of ...inanimate? But it did what I needed, and it was cheap.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks that was from 10 years ago wonder where program is doing now
I got on the Missouri Botanical Gardens website but couldn't find an answer. I would imagine it is still going. They improved their methods and expanded operations, from the last info I could find.

Latest posts