Raised Bed Gardening

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am planning on creating a raised bed garden for next year. I have done some research, but don't have a solid plan as of yet. If anybody has any ideas that have worked, I would like to hear from you. Questions up in the air are bed construction material and what type of growing media to fill beds.

I would appreciate any input anyone has.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:D I dont have alot of input but you saved me the need to post the same question! I will be eagerly watching for the answers you recieve, because I am planning exactly the same thing next year!~ My DH informed me we are going to take down my old fence, smooth down garden with the new tractor, and I get my new raised beds this coming year!!

So far one recommendation to me has been to make sure I put small wire on the bottom so I dont have to worry about gophers! That is a good idea, cause I just had my first gopher issue ever this year! Hopefully my last now!

Another friend says to make sure they are not too wide - 3 1/2 or 4 at the most....hers are about 12 feet long. Mine will be about 10 feet long each I think.

I will be using some of my existing soil, and adding some compost I am going to build up from my poultry and pet leavings this winter - finally, they have a real purpose besides to delight me!!

I cant wait to see what the rest of the gardeners say!!!!

Best Wishes
Tina/tfpets

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm starting ours this week, I'm new to it to.

I know I'm putting chicken wire under the wood raised beds to help keep moles and gophers out. I'm also laying landscaping fabric around the edges of the boxes underneath, but not all the way to the middle to allow for deeper rooting. I'm using 4x4 pieces on the edges of the boxes so they won't shift. I'm using old decking boards to keep the soil in.

I'm going to top it with either hay or mulch this fall until I get the soil ready for spring. I'm also doing long short row boxes so I don't have to crawl over things to get to other plans. I'm doing something like this

l l l

Then I'll have a pea gravel path in between so I don't have to mow there!

Good lucky, I hope those ideas help.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Raised beds are great. The wire is a sure fire way to keep gophers out. I have had a few bunnines jump in though. This year I am adding a couple of deeper beds. I went from 12 to 18 inches. I hope for better root crops and potatos.

They are so easy to maintain and the weeds just pop right out. Without soil compaction the soil stays nice and fluffy.

I also posted a ???? for fill ideas. Not to sure what I am using yet. I filled one with bottom 6 inches of straw. Then have been adding mulch, compost and poop to the bed. It is now growing Wheat. So I figure it will be my cover crop for this bed. Who knew.

maybe I can get my hands on enough compost to skip the straw in the other beds.

In the picture you can see the shorter beds vs the new tall beds. I moved my kids swing set and took over there sunny spot. Re used existing mulch etc... I use redwood but I figure it should out last me. G

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok,
I did one this year, not saying it was the right way, lol
I filled my raised bed with Contractor Screen Soil. Not the best but the price was in our range. I tilled in Horse Manure and grass clippings all late winter into spring. I just planted tomatos, green peppers, some herbs, pole beans and pumpkins. I cannot complain, did not have much rain and we have a well so I went easy on the watering. I believe I will have better luck next summer. I will have some more manure and other compost stuff to sit thru the winter before I till in some sand in early spring.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Raised beds are great. The wire is a sure fire way to keep gophers out. I have had a few bunnines jump in though. This year I am adding a couple of deeper beds. I went from 12 to 18 inches. I hope for better root crops and potatos.

They are so easy to maintain and the weeds just pop right out. Without soil compaction the soil stays nice and fluffy.

I also posted a ???? for fill ideas. Not to sure what I am using yet. I filled one with bottom 6 inches of straw. Then have been adding mulch, compost and poop to the bed. It is now growing Wheat. So I figure it will be my cover crop for this bed. Who knew.

maybe I can get my hands on enough compost to skip the straw in the other beds.

In the picture you can see the shorter beds vs the new tall beds. I moved my kids swing set and took over there sunny spot. Re used existing mulch etc... I use redwood but I figure it should out last me. G

[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5900_img_4634_1.jpg[/url]
Tankshill, those raised bed look awesome!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Beavis. I got them all filed up with composted horse manure a couple months ago. I planted some cooler crops directly. They are looking great.