Raised beds

farmchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am wanting to have 4 raised bed gardens for next spring. However, I would like to build the beds now, and fill them with my special soil mix so next spring I could just plant. Is it ok to put my soil in now or should I wait until next spring to fill the boxes? Also I want to put weed barrier down under each box. The boxes will sit on a ground that has been tilled, but we have a terrible problem with bind weed here and I don't want the bind weed to get into the raised beds. Is it ok to put the weed barrier under each box?
Also I will put weed barrier down for the paths and then put wood chips down 3" thick.
Any input on my questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would not think you'd have too much of a bindweed problem - at least here, it mainly comes from seeds or shallowly-buried roots, and that will not happen so much thru your raised bed soil. The problem with a weed barrier is that it works both ways and your plants will not be able to sink their roots down into the underlying soil very well, so they will not grow as well as they would with no weed barrier. I'd suggest going without the weed barrier and just be really vigilant about pulling up any sign of bindweed sprouts.

Putting in soil now is fine, and it doesn't all have to be fully composted material either. The only thing is, do not leave it as bare soil over the winter - weeds will sprout, the soil will compact, etcetera. Mulch it over with a thick layer of, well, mulch :p or leaves or unfinished compost or whatever.

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had the same questions exactly! Thanks for the input.... we're starting the beds next weekend. :p

Latest posts