Raspberries and Japanese Beetles

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:pop

Just wondering if anyone has good suggestions of what to do with Japanese beetles that are eating my raspberries. They are everywhere!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I take a plastic container with slick sides, put some water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid in to to break the surface tension, and collect them. Hold the container under them and try to grab them. Even if you miss, they tend to drop down before they start flying so you can catch a bunch by holding the container under them. They drop right into it. You'll get pretty good at it with enough practice.

I've tried feeding them to my chickens, but they get tired of them real fast. I usually leave them in the water overnight then pour them on my compost heap.

I haven't had any this year. I think I've seen a total of three, while for the past two years they covered my plums and grapes, plus hit the beans, blackberries, okra and other things pretty hard. I've read that out high temperatures and drought last year cooked the larva in the ground. Looks like there won't be many next year either if that is true.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Ridgerunner my chickens love them! I use the same method you do- without the soap. While they are still swimming (and my goodness, they can swim a long time) I offer them in the water to my chickens. They are finished with a huge container of them, in a few seconds. This year I have killed 3 or 4. I suppose they may arrive later, but nothing so far. Retired have you tried the traps? They work very well, you just don't want to have them too close to your plants- since they do attract them. Good luck!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Treat your lawn with Milky spore. It will reduce the future populations.The larvae live in the soil.
retiredwith4acres said:
:pop

Just wondering if anyone has good suggestions of what to do with Japanese beetles that are eating my raspberries. They are everywhere!

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just found them in the hundreds in my roses. I have never had them before, but smashed most of them. This weekend I bought a trap at Lowe's. It is essentially a slick sided plastic bag with a lure that smells like Japanese beetle sexiness.

I had caught several within the first hour!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best if you don't put the traps too close to the garden. Better to lure them away...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got ducks years ago... they eat so much of the larva out of the ground I've maybe seen like 6-7 japanese beetles compared to thousands just a few summers ago. :/

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hardly getting any beetles in the pheremone trap anymore, but they are beginning to cause some damage in my garden. It's amazing how much damage one beetle can do. I have been squishing them with my fingers when I find them. I was doing that to my roses about a month ago, when I grabbed one and realized it was a honeybee at the last moment. Just before he stung. I could see him stinging the rose as I pulled my hand away. (I'm a big baby about getting stung)