Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Client bought back from trip to Alaska, This is what they really look like
DSCF0470.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's quite an athlete to have run the Iditarod so many times. What's he going to do with himself now that he's retired?

Different kennels use different breed blends, Alaskan huskies aren't a recognized breed, but a mix of dogs that are fast and tough.
A lot of hound breeds are used in the mix.

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
He's quite an athlete to have run the Iditarod so many times. What's he going to do with himself now that he's retired?

Different kennels use different breed blends, Alaskan huskies aren't a recognized breed, but a mix of dogs that are fast and tough.
A lot of hound breeds are used in the mix.
I didn't know that, Thistle, about Husky not being a recognized breed; and me a fan of the IDITAROD!!!! Which, by the way, is going on right now....
sam

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
'American' husky is not recognized but Siberian Husky is. then there is the Alaskan Malamute which are big sled dogs. you don't really see them much used for the races but they can sure haul a heavy sled! i had a classmate in high school animal science class that had one. he brought it in for grooming day and boy did that dog shed!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that, Thistle, about Husky not being a recognized breed; and me a fan of the IDITAROD!!!! Which, by the way, is going on right now....
sam

I'm an Iditarod fan too! Did you see that they had to truck in snow for the "official" race start in Anchorage Sam? Alaska has had below average snowfall this winter.
I meant Alaskan huskies are not recognized as a breed, they are conglomerates of different breeds that are bred specifically for racing, although probably most of them have Siberian Husky in them somewhere.

Alaskan Malamutes are draft dogs as Chickie said, not speed dogs. But they will always be my favorite breed. :love We've had several through the years and they are funny and always cheerful.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to have to see if I can find something/somewhere to watch the race. Pretty cool.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just saw this. Got to see the race this year!!! Such an incredible experience!!!

Latest posts