Recipe: Fried Cabbage and Sausage

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got this on facebook, not my original recipe.

Fried Cabbage and Sausage
8 Servings

1 stick of butter
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb smoked sausage, cut in coins
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter in large skillet. Saute onion a bit, then add cabbage. Simmer about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer about 25 minutes.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds good. Why use butter when you would have sausage grease? I'll add it to the try it list. Thank you for posting.

So it needs jalapeno peppers or do you use salsa for the tomatoes? Hmm and Mmm!

Just to be clear, I put salsa on my eggs because ketchup is bland.

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i think we're going to try that at our house. ...only I think I'll substitute Italian sausage. And maybe skip the butter. Seems like sausage would generate enough fat if I brown them before I do the cabbage and onion.

Thanks for a great idea!

We like colcannon too and that's, basically, cabbage cooked to a mush with potatoes and cream. It may not sound like much but even the simple traditional Irish version is satisfying comfort food. Here's an upscale version.

I used to consider myself a minor league foodie. Even then what I really appreciated is peasant food -- the classic stuff made by people trying to add some flavor to subsistence lives and cheap ingredients. Bradley Cooper says as much in Burnt which is one of my favorite current films.

I think it's a much underrated movie about the obsession of perfectionism and the ultimate triumph of making peace with yourself. I know a lot of people are put off by the raw anger but I think it's very authentic from having worked in kitchens and living with a perfectionist father.

Anyway, thanks again for the recipe. I intend to try it soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Salsa is THE "correct"seasoning for eggs! :thumbsup They really belong together.

one of my favorite simple meals from years ago was two pieces of very well done homemade toast with tons of butter and then dump a pint of homemade salsa. a bread pudding for Italians. :)

now i have a bottle of sriracha sauce as my tomato replacement and use it several times a week to zip up things (i sometimes even put it on my plain yogurt or in mayo/MW)...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting a big storm tomorrow . I might try and make this, I love anything with cabbage

sausage and about anything is so good. love cabbage too.

since you come from Italian family are you familiar with the sweet italian sausage that has annise/annisette/anise seeds in it? i've been trying to find a version like i had up north and nobodies recipe comes close for some reason and i can't figure out what i'm not getting right (since all store bought sausage i've tried doesn't come close either).

unfortunately the place where i used to get this on pizzas burned down many years ago and since it was rebuilt the food is all different.

Latest posts