Record HEAT !

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In this morning's Associated Press article ... Ed Currie grew his "Carolina Reaper " pepper, a bumpy, oily, fire-engine red fruit with a punch of heat nearly as potent as most pepper sprays used by police. :th It's hot enough to leave even the most seasoned spicy food aficionado crimson faced, flushed with sweat, trying not to lose his lunch. :oops: The heat of a pepper is measured in Scoville Heat Units. Zero is bland, and a regular Jalapeno pepper registers around 5,000 on the Scoville scale. Currie's world -record batch of "Carolina Reapers " comes in at 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units, with an individual pepper measured at 2.2 million. :ep Pepper spray weighs in at about 2 million Scoville Units. :smack But whether Currie's peppers are truly the world's hottest is a question what Paul Bosland, director of Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University said can never be known. The heat of a pepper depends not just on the plant's genetics, but also where it is grown. :somad The heat of a pepper is more about being macho than seasoning. :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Manzano rocotta roja was the hottest pepper i ever grew.

A tough retired hard core MARINE told me he'd eat one like an apple.

I tried to warn him! I even begged him not to...

Brought him to his knees, drooling, blathering for water.

He set what was left of it down on a table, and eventually leftm, so I cleared the table. This was outside.

Next day, my boss set her unlit cigarette and lighter on the table. A few minutes later, just like normal, lit her cigarette.

She suddenly spit the cigarette out, cursing. Ya see, that hot pepper's HOT was still on the table, hiding.

Not sure how many of mr. scoville's units it had, but it had a good number of them!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
suffering succotash.

According to the scovillescaleforpeppers (dot) com, the Super Chili and Thai Hots that I grow every year are between 40,000 and 100,000 Scoville units, with the Super Chili on the low end of that.

Okay, 40-50,000 and I mixed the dried and ground Super Chilies 50:50 with powdered salt/garlic salt. So, if I need a teaspoon of salt in something, I put 2 teaspoons of the mix in. The result - hot! I think it is fine but might have made that "shakeable mix" a little more useable it it was more like 60:40, salt to Super Chili.

If I had something that I wanted to add a teaspoon of salt to, what would be a "comfortable" amount of heat from a pepper that rates 2 million Scoville units??! If a pepper at 50k would require 1 teaspoon for my tastes, . . . I'll try to do the math . . .

A fortieth of a teaspoon!!! That would be .025 teaspoon. A quarter of 1/10th!

If I wanted 1/4th of a teaspoon of salt for my plateful of food how would I season that much food with a pepper with that much HEAT? Would I leave the pepper in a sealed glass bottle and just show it my plate of food?

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
one 40th of a teaspoon is a quarter of a smidgen.
4 smidgens per dash
3 dashes per sprinkle, plus an iddy biddy
5 sprinkles equals a little bit of this
4 little bits of this are the same as some of that
(except for liquid measure. Then it's a splash and a half).

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well now ... remember the time that I had to wup the Big Foot at the Rogue River several months ago. How about if I got one of those red "Carolina Reaper" peppers and hang it from a tree near the Rogue and set up a game camera nearby. When that Big Foot sees it, he will then think it to be an apple, pop the pepper into his mouth whereupon he would start blathering for water, then run into the Rogue River and drink it dry. Not only would I have photographic proof of Big Foot's existance but since he will be so bloated with water and can't move, an honest to goodness Big Foot to show off to the nonbelievers. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Rogue . . .

Now, you've got a good name for a pepper, Bob. Yeah, a Rogue Reaper . . . .

I used to live between Gold Hill and Rogue River. I guess you can tell which direction my life took . . .

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
read that the other day back in my hot pepper days the habanero was the hottest and they were a great pepper to cook with till the morning after<a sure way to rip the tp holder out of the wall>
at 350.000 shu, now the carolina reaper at 1.5+mil shu thats just plain not funny anymore.<while drinking milk you're going to soak something else in milk, if you get my drift>
at my age have nothing to prove by eating hot peppers, will leave that up to the younger crowd.

a round of sweet bell peppers for everyone.......

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, I know what ya mean Major.

Remember,

HOT going IN...HOT coming OUT!

Hay Bob! I got a postcard from Mrs. Bigfoot who is down in Baja. She sez the hot peppers down there aren't hot enough to even help clear little Sara Bigfoot's sinuses.

Latest posts