bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw this on my facebook page...

1 1/3 c strawberries
2/3 c rhubarb
2Tbsp raw honey (or to taste)
2Tbsp chia seeds
process all ingredients in a blender and refrigerate overnight. the chic seeds will gel, thickening the fruit puree. it says to add diced fruit if you like it chunky.
Makes 2 cups

I've never used chia seeds for anything, but it caught my eye w/the sugar free. it sounds interesting.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks interesting, are you going to make it BJ? I just did my grocery shopping ( so I don't have to go into town tomorrow - home all day, yippee! ) and I saw a large bag of chia seeds. I didn't take a look at the price, because I haven't ever used them either.

I think you should do the guinea pig test and report back to us. I have lots of rhubarb still going out there, unless it's too late to use it.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom, I will be the guinea pig. I don't have any rhubarb growing, that's for sure, but i'll pick up some frozen just to try this out. one thing's for sure, I love rhubarb and strawberry

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over here, chia seeds are pricey. I buy a bag for $4.99 and I wouldn't call it a big bag. They usually cost a few dollars more.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, what do you use the chia seeds in?

BJ, I assume you want to avoid sugar because of diabetes, but wouldn't honey make your blood sugar spike too? Please forgive my ignorance.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the diabetes is why i'm looking for alternatives. I would probably actually use agave or stevia. honey is somewhat better than sugar though. the fruit is not great for diabetics either - but for a splurge here and there it would be nice.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thiste, it's my son that actually eats the chia seeds. He's into working out and takes them with a glass of water or protein drink. Gotta ask him why, I do know that they are supposed to be healthy.

Mary

Latest posts