Remember the Rochester 4 barrel Carburetor?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Remember the Rochester Carburetor?
I just set the 4barrel on our G30 van. Hell of a carb when they're adjusted properly.

I use a 1/16" twist drill, like in days a fore, to set the Choke Plate~remember.

Remember the excelerator pump in the carb had ether leather or rubber/plastic umbrella that pumped fuel down the throat. If the umbrella was worn it would be hard starting, until replaced.

The Beast, this 82 1ton Van was hard starting, slow warming. I didn't look forward to tearing down the Quadrajet e4barrel, it still had exceleration that would throw you back in the seat, poor exceleration was another symptom of wear, but was absent.

It had been a rescue van, The sheriff use to hall the boat to Lake Camanche, their mechanics were monkeys so everything that could be out of adjustment, was.

I cleaned and adjusted the carb, this morning when cold, and it started like a champ. Test drive showed the throttle/choke plate opened and when it came off fast idle onto the set screw, it idled like a Sherman.

Do you remember this carb?

36001jet5.jpg
6669fbquadjetcarb.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should post the drawing of a carburetor I drew for art class one year. Not identical, but it could be identified as a carburetor in the pile of junk around it on the table.

Always figured someone else in the family got my artistic abilities until I took that class. In the end, I was pretty proud of my work -- proud enough to share with 4th and 5th graders, but not ya'll.

To your question, valley ranch, no, I don't recognize that type. The carburetors in my older model cars were not nearly that large (or that shiny). But I could find them when needed a time or two.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Parts 57 and 59? That's funny!

Post it Red!

Injection smiles ? With the fuel pump in the gas tank? Never though that a good idea. Good when working as well, but questionable, better.

dickebird, Yep, you're right about that. Much more work and expense to repair!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, have you guys had your Holley, Rochester, Stromberg, or Carter carburetor worked on lately? If you can even find someone who will do it they will charge an arm and a leg.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, have you guys had your Holley, Rochester, Stromberg, or Carter carburetor worked on lately? If you can even find someone who will do it they will charge an arm and a leg.
Yep I'm just the guy they're looking for.
Just spent 3 days convincing a guy it wasn't his carb, it was his electronic dizzy.
I guess I need to thank him for his arm and leg!!!
\
THANX RICH