Rethinking olives

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The trees are beginning to set fruit, however, the tops of the plants have olives, but the lower portions are still budding. It looks like the harvest will be spread out over a period of time. Additionally, some of the trees are just in the process of budding, while others are just about finished. At this point it appears that there will be more olives than I anticipated, so I have to rethink how to process them, as I only expected enough for a tupperware container. To add to the confusion there are at least ten different varieties that are fruiting.
The top photo is a French variety, Picholine, the bottom photo is a Spanish variety, Arbequina.

Picholine babies.jpg
arbequina olives.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah.

Here I thought that it might be something baad!

You are gonna have to keep your thinkin' cap on for a harvest and processing season, Jack.

;) Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah.

Here I thought that it might be something baad!

You are gonna have to keep your thinkin' cap on for a harvest and processing season, Jack.

;) Steve

My first objective was to grow olives, but I did not give much thought as to what I would do with them. Oil is not practical, as the equipment is expensive, but as I love olives I would rather process them anyway. I think I have found an easy method to process them, and, we have lots and lots of jelly jars. Another advantage would be we could do them in small batches, which is most likely going to be the case.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny, I have been obsessed with eating green olives of late. I think I have seen an olive pitting tool somewhere. I never thought you would get much, I thought it was just for fun. Probably not enough to press for oil. But, what great fun to have too much!! You have not been growing them all that long either, Have you? Thanks for sharing!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny, I have been obsessed with eating green olives of late. I think I have seen an olive pitting tool somewhere. I never thought you would get much, I thought it was just for fun. Probably not enough to press for oil. But, what great fun to have too much!! You have not been growing them all that long either, Have you? Thanks for sharing!

I did not expect to get any at all this soon, as I read that they don't produce fruit until they are five years old. Some varieties take a decade or more, but I don't have THAT much patience.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long have you been growing these? Picholine are my Jack's favorite!
I have only been growing them for three or four years. Most of the trees are two or three years old. Picholine is partially self-fertile, so it could be grown in a container in Maine. Outdoors in the summer, indoors in a bright indirect light in the winter, soil mix and careful watering are crucial though.

Last edited:

Latest posts