Retired or maybe not

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
PMy wife retired from IRS at the end of Jan.. Her heading up the volunteer AAUW Science camp for high school girls volunteer gig got postponed this year to next year due to Corona. So playing video games on the conputer and reading library books got old fast. Then, AAUW reps in charge of National volunteer tax preparers asked my wife to head the Clark County tax preparers ( retired tax preparers, and CPAs ) for those that can not afford to pay for this service during tax season. Pay ... a pat on the back and an atta girl ! Then,a few months ago, Turbo Tax inquired if she would be interested in part time work at home during tax season to answer client phone in tax questions over the phone while working at home. She said OK. Then, she filed for a " Enrolled Agent" designation which would allow her to represent clients being audited by the IRS. Zippity do da ... filling more papers, lots of study, conferenses, test, and a filling fee.... wait a month on pins and needles ... and.... last late afternoon, she got a call saying that she is now a bone fida " Enrolled Agent ". So, a actual PAYING job and $$$$$$$s coming in to pay for 9 grandkids' presents !!! :clap:ya:woot:thumbsup

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m glad your wife found something to keep her busy that she likes. That is the hardest thing about retirement. Took me 2 weeks of being home & I confirmed this wasn’t going to work. Didn’t want pressure of full time, so found part time that I love-don’t tell boss or he won’t pay me.....

So what do you do to stay productive?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is super wonderful for her! Enrolled agents do taxes - is she going to do this for clients or only for those being audited by the IRS? I'm proud of her!

And I've been missing the "are you kidding me" stories you used to tell...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m glad your wife found something to keep her busy that she likes. That is the hardest thing about retirement. Took me 2 weeks of being home & I confirmed this wasn’t going to work. Didn’t want pressure of full time, so found part time that I love-don’t tell boss or he won’t pay me.....

So what do you do to stay productive?

To keep me productively busy ....when we moved to SW Washington several years ago , we purchased a bank owned home and lot that was quite abused and vandalised. I have slowly been remodeling and upgrading the house and lot ( see: clarkgreenneighbors.org/gardentour ) This sight is owned by Clark County and the tour is sponsored by it. There are 15 gardens this year and mine is in the middle .:caf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm Thanks for link. Got me excited about next spring. Thinking of ways to cut down mowing, increasing butterfly garden as well as maybe, less weeds issues from yard creeping into garden.

Latest posts