Revamping a flower garden

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dew had a rose garden that has struggled to thrive because in my infinite wisdom I put it under/around a large sugar maple tree. This spring I moved the roses (if they survive) to the new and improved Paradise Garden (still much under construction).

In place of the roses i planted Lilly of the Valley and Bleeding Heart. I understand that both love shade to part sun. Can anyone confirm this?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 of my favorite plants, do well in shade. Love how fragrant lily of valley is. Lots of warnings it can be invasive, in 20 years I never had that problem lawn mower keeps in check. Great thing about bleeding heart is it just gets bigger and better every year

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Friend of mine worked in upscale florist in NYC. They would sell 5 stems of lily of the valley for $25 and sell out. People loved it for their bathrooms!!!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually Lily-0f-the-Valley can take full sun, my son has the well behaved double flowering variety in full sun and they bloom their fool heads off, I have my double ones in shade and nary a flower:(.
I also have the pink variety, they are not a bright pink like one would have hoped, more of a wishy washy color IMO. I've been hauling them out by the bucket full, they are in partial shade. I used to have the ones with the variegated leaves but they lost their variegation so I hauled those out too.

I haven't had Bleeding Heart in the garden for years and years, must give this some more thought as there are so many different varieties to choose from now.

Annette

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love bleeding heart. In my shade garden, the bleeding heart blooms at the same time as the bluebells.
Just make sure you provide extra water under that maple tree, MontyJ.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love bleeding heart. In my shade garden, the bleeding heart blooms at the same time as the bluebells.
Just make sure you provide extra water under that maple tree, MontyJ.

@so lucky the maple tree gets morning and evening sun, not enough sun threw the day to sustain roses. I think it will be fine for shade flowers and bushes

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some varieties of bleeding heart -- the fern leafed ones I've found -- do super well in full sun. In fact, mine have flowered all summer long in full sun.

The old-fashioned varieties can be burned in all day sun or in bright afternoon sun. I've only grown them in more shady spots.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite Bleeding Hearts are the small fern leafed ones that bloom off and on all season. The big old fashioned ones are beautiful, but they do go dormant after mid summer and can leave a hole in the landscape.

Latest posts