Rhubarb - What Else To Use It For?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BetterHensandGardens said:
I finally have rhubarb again that's old enough to start harvesting (see http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/04/18/growing-rhubarb/) and we use it for pies, but what else does everyone use it for? Looking for new ideas - it's the first thing I can actually harvest here!
:frow :frow

Here in the UK we are great fans of rhubarb as it is the first sweet thing that comes out of our gardens -- so here are 8 recipes. Just be aware they use our measurements so you will need to convert them.....!! :happy_flower

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.d...lterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=

Hope you enjoy them! Happy cooking & eating ! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We like it as stewed fruit - either alone or mixed with other fruit such as saskatoons, strawberries, cherries, etc.

I have made rhubarb crisp and rhubarb upside-down cake, you just have to adjust the sugar.

These are our favorite squares. They always disappear.

Go Anywhere Rhubarb Squares
Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter

Filling:
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
Procedure:
Combine flour & powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. For filling, combine first four ingredients. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in refrigerator.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhubarb crisp is always good. Rhubarb is good in all sorts of jellies/jams/marmalades/conserves/chutneys. If you really have rhubarb 'coming out your ears' and no problems with gout, rhubarb juice is good too :)

Also, freeze or can for next winter.

Have fun,

Pat, whose rhubarb has only just begun to poke up aboveground this year

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL makes an wonderful rhubarb bread (kinda like banana nut bread, but without the banana and no nuts either). I am not sure what the recipe is. It's so moist and yummy. It has a struedel topping and it's awesome with coffee!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
QUICK-I was reading that if your rubarb is up and you get a frost, you should cut it down to the ground and not cook with it, because the poison from the leaves will have permeated the stalk, too. We've had one frost, and almost frost, since my rubarb came up, and my rubarb grows adjacent to the west side of my garage. Should I cut it back and throw the stalks away? Love the above recipes, but I don't wanna be poisoned!! :ep ...help... :hide

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandmother used to make a rhubarb and strawberry bread, and if I can find it, I made a rhubarb,apple, citrus dressing for salads. Good stuff! Entered it in the state fair last year.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
QUICK-I was reading that if your rubarb is up and you get a frost, you should cut it down to the ground and not cook with it, because the poison from the leaves will have permeated the stalk, too. We've had one frost, and almost frost, since my rubarb came up, and my rubarb grows adjacent to the west side of my garage. Should I cut it back and throw the stalks away? Love the above recipes, but I don't wanna be poisoned!! :ep ...help... :hide
Only if the stalks get mushy spots. If they are still standing upright, you're OK. Also, bear in mind that oxalic acid poisoning requires eating 11 lbs. of leaves all in one sitting to kill a 150 lb. person. You might get ill from eating a bit of rhubarb leaf, but it's unlikely you'd get more than an upset tummy and have to pee a lot.

Latest posts