Rhubarb- what to do with it?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't had rhubarb since I was a kid, and not even sure how I ate it... What on earth does one use it for? Anyone have a good recipe to try out? I'd love to make use of what I've got growing and not let it go to waste!

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:frow

Hi! I just posted a reply to the rhubarb jam thread. I'm sort of in the same boat with you. :lol:

There's a jam recipe on that thread, looks yummy, check it out.

ETA -- OMG... I need some sleep, I just realized I repeated myself... :smack

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry I can't type in recipes right now (the kids are crazy :p) but my favorite rhubarb uses are things like pie (obviously), rhubarb cobbler, strawberry-rhubarb jam, ginger-rhubarb marmalade, or just chopped small and cooked up with a little sugar and water to make a sauce to put over vanilla icecream.

Pat

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These sound good. We don't have strawberries here, I may need to wait til next year to do anything with it... I think we've got wild strawberries at the back of our property, but I don't think they get big enough to harvest enough to actually preserve-- but we'll see... I'll have to see if the Agway has any strawberry plants, and get them in the ground for future use!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peel it, sprinkle with salt, enjoy!!! My kids LOVE it this way, as does the rest of my family. Good spring purge also.

organicmama

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh I mad the BEST strawberry rhubarb jam yesterday. My mom also makes straight rhubarb pie. You can cut in in 1" chunks and freeze the extras too.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Organicmama--- care to share the recipe???
I need to find some strawberries around here-- I don't have any in the garden (will have to shoot for next year) and haven't seen any "pick your own" places around-- but then again-- I'm new here!

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The recipes sound great I love it in pies, many years ago I tried to grow it and the geese I had at the time got into the garden and gobble them up.

Latest posts