Rhubarb

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was given some rhubarb (bare roots) in January and planted it. It's got leaves and stalks everywhere. When and how do I harvest it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvest very little first year. Harvest--just pull the stalks off of plant, cut leaf off, prepare however you want.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When a stalk gets a decent size to use you can grasp one at a time and with a twisting motion pull it loose from the plant.
Grab it down next to the dirt and be sure it's an outer stalk.
A decent size for me is about as big as my thumb at the base of the stalk.
If a flower head develops cut it off right away.
Some people say not to harvest any stalks the 1st year, but at my age I don't wait!!!!

THANX RICH

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted it for the first time, Are the leaves poisonous ?

Yes. They're very high in oxalic acid for one thing, don't know about any other things the leaves contain that are harmful.

We had an old ewe when I was growing up that was very clever at getting into the garden. One season she broke into dads onion patch where the onions were bulbing up nicely and ate all the tops off.
She had the worst breath for about a week.
But the scary time was when she managed to get into the garden where moms rhubarb was and ate a bunch of leaves. She survived that one okay, but we thought she was a certain goner.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@thistlebloom Can chickens eat the leaves? I learn something everyday from here!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom Can chickens eat the leaves? I learn something everyday from here!
Young pullets found their way far enough around the yard one time to discover the rhubarb plants. One of them died that evening.

She had been with the other 3 and they (1 or all) had completely shredded a rhubarb leaf.

She had given no reason for me to be concerned about her health up until that time.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We normally thin out the stalks as they are growing, removing the spindly ones and leaving the thicker, more healthy looking stalks to continue growing. When your plant starts getting too big, you can split it off and transplant the new set. This will keep the original plant healthy and producing and will get you new plants. If you don't need them, you can give them to others.

Latest posts