RIP Dear Aunt

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My dear Aunt Lucy left us yesterday. She was 93 years old and an extreme gardener! She didn't get her real wish which was to fall over dead in her garden but she got to have a garden last year and my mother made one for her this year which she strolled out to visit until she couldn't walk out there anymore. She did enjoy the veggies for a few weeks though. She had the green thumb in the family which she got from her mother. Flowers everywhere and her small backyard garden that she had added compost to for 30 years was her full time job. My mother can't get over the soil in that garden. Grass clippings was what most of her compost was made with but it did the job for sure. I have a few of her plants and will go gather some more before her place is sold. Just another person that enjoyed God's earth by planting a garden. Love you Lucy!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How lovely that you have some of her plants- She will live on in your memory and your garden...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your beloved Aunt will be with you always. Especially in the beauty of your garden. How wonderful you have some of her plants. :happy_flower

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry for you loss. My grandfather was the gardener but died back when I was a teenager many years ago. I do have peonies from his original plants though, apparently my dad, his son got them and then my younger sister took care of them and divided them and gave me some a few years ago. It's kind of cool having his plants which assuming the new home owner kept would be over 75 years old now.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So many plants passed down, as well as, the love of plants and gardening passed to so many of us. True heirlooms!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, retired, I was just thinking of all that she passed down to you. Her love of gardening and knowledge of it. These things influenced you and live in your heart. For you to pass along to another generation. Isn't it beautiful, the love and memories you have of her?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just today I was showing my 40+ year old son the foxglove flowers and telling him how I would stare up into them at the age of 3 & 4 when we lived on my grandmother's farm. Looking at the tiny world inside a foxglove is one of my earliest memories.

My grandmother has been gone for almost 60 years but I still think of her when I look at foxglove.

You were blessed to have known your Aunt Lucy, '4acres. Think and talk about her often and you will keep her spirit alive.

Steve :hugs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Aunt lucy will be in your memory always every time you see the blooms from the plants from her garden. So sorry for your loss.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't wonderful how many of us have such sweet memories of moms and aunts and grandparents who led us to love gardening?
Your Aunt Lucy must have been a treasure Retired. Thanks for sharing her memory with us. :hugs

Latest posts