Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SS_6.jpg

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds.

Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down. For each layer, spritz with a decent quality olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste), 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons thyme, (you may substitute Italian herb seasoning), and 1 cup of chopped onions. Depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle

Let them cool a little, then remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point. Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot.

Crush tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Add 1 pound of cooked Italian sausage and 1 cup of wine (red or white).

Adjust your spices to suit your taste (we add about 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper at this point).

Simmer for about 45 minutes and you're ready to eat!!! Two roasting pans will yield about 7 quarts of finished sauce. Enjoy!!!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been looking for a tomato sauce recipe for years now that comes out looking like normal spaghetti sauce and not like I've made stewed tomatoes. I'm totally using this. Thank you!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man, I'm getting hungry for spaghetti. Maybe tonight for supper.

About how many pounds of tomatoes do you start with for this recipe, @w_r_ranch ?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been looking for a tomato sauce recipe for years now that comes out looking like normal spaghetti sauce and not like I've made stewed tomatoes. I'm totally using this. Thank you!
@AMKuska, do you have a stick blender? When I make everyday spaghetti sauce, I often start with a big can of tomatoes, and use the blender on part of it, making sauce out of it, and leave about half to be chunky tomatoes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang you w_R, I need to tag this as when I finally get tomatoes, I will have forgotten where recipe is......couldn't wait till August, could you?????? ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To all the newbies, now you know why I call them evil......always tempting us northerners...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska, do you have a stick blender? When I make everyday spaghetti sauce, I often start with a big can of tomatoes, and use the blender on part of it, making sauce out of it, and leave about half to be chunky tomatoes.

Yes, I do in fact have a stick blender. My husband is kinda picky about tomatoes and only likes them as a flat, smooth sauce.

Latest posts