Roasted Tomatos for Sauce

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year I had an incredible crop of tomatos and had a hard time keeping up with the picking, preparing, skinning, cooking, and canning my tomato sauce. So, a friend gave me this shortcut that I plan on using this year as well. I thought I would pass it along. Many of you probably already do this.
Some roasting receipes will call for a much hotter oven for a much shorter time, but I have found that the slow roast is more flavorful. You do need a couple of hours to do this slowly so the shortcut really is that you can do something else while the roasting is going on.

Set oven to 200-225 degrees
3-4 inch deep large roasting pan (I use the oven broiler pans)
Spray Pam on bottom and sides of pan
Slice tomatos in half and fill pan with one layer
Add whole or sliced garlic (the more the better in our house)
Add sliced onions (any kind you have)
Add sliced peppers (or not)
Add any and all herbs you like (I use basil,rosemary,thyme,parsley)
Drizzle everything in the pan with a good olive oil...generously

Cover lightly with aluminium foil
Put in oven for about an hour, then remove foil, stir, mash, and replace foil (the ingredients will begin to break down)
Roast for another hour, stir..take off foil
Roast for another hour making sure they don't burn

Cool and then you can freeze or can. If I want a smoother sauce, I will put in blender or quisinart or use as chunky.

Do you have any suggestions for roasting? I would love to hear.
Anne

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That recipe sounds wonderful. I will definitely give it a try. I think I'm going to have a bumper crop this year. (knock on wood)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Adondro! :happy_flower

I hope the smoke isn't too bad there! :)

That's a great recipe, thank you! I'm looking forward to trying it! :)

Well, I don't know what you'd like. I cook all the time, and am sure I have some type of tip, but can't put my finger on one....hmmmm.

I probably will have to be offline this weekend, if the lightning manifests, but I'll think about it, and hopefully will come back with some tips for you! :)

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Tutter,
Smoke has been much better the last 2 days. I have all my dog crates lined up in case I have to move my chickens.....

I will look forward to receipes from you because if your avitar is any indication, I bet you have many.
Anne

Latest posts