Rooting Forsythia Cuttings

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing says spring like flowering forsythia. I know they root easy. I once cut some to force flower in late winter, and they rooted in vase. When is the best time to take cuttings? How is the best way to root cuttings?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way I did it was to bend a branch down to the ground and bury it in about an inch of dirt, then put a paver over it to hold it down. If it failed to rain, I'd occasionally toss a bucket of water on it. I waited two years to transplant it but could have easily done it after the first winter. Just check to see how many roots it has.

The "best" time is probably when they are dormant, but I've moved them during the middle of summer, just keep them well watered.

My forsythia are my first bushes to wilt down if it gets dry. I think they are pretty shallow rooted anyway so make sure you keep them watered. This is the one I transplanted a year ago. I think it will make it.

Forsythia.JPG

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way I did it was to bend a branch down to the ground and bury it in about an inch of dirt, then put a paver over it to hold it down. If it failed to rain, I'd occasionally toss a bucket of water on it. I waited two years to transplant it but could have easily done it after the first winter. Just check to see how many roots it has.

The "best" time is probably when they are dormant, but I've moved them during the middle of summer, just keep them well watered.

My forsythia are my first bushes to wilt down if it gets dry. I think they are pretty shallow rooted anyway so make sure you keep them watered. This is the one I transplanted a year ago. I think it will make it.

View attachment 18788
After bloom, prune back to encourage growth. Stick all cuttings into the ground and keep moist. Many will root.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
while dormant is a good time to take a few cuttings to force them to bloom. the local grocery stores here are starting to get pussy willow cuttings in for decorations. i know those will root in water easily. if you are cutting back the bush to give it shape wait till after it blooms.

when my dad has tried forcing the rhododendrons to root he does the same thing as @Ridgerunner & laid them down & 'pinned' them with a rock or fabric staple or two. the forsythia at the old house had a few branches that were rooting like this on their own since i didn't cut it back the 5 years we were there. chickens loved to sit under it's shade.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Forsythia will root even sitting on top of the ground. One year I didn't get around to cleaning up all the pruned branches right away, when I did I found several of them were firmly rooted :).

Annette

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
growing up in the neighborhood i lived in a majority of my life, there was a big bush at the bus stop corner & early in the spring it would be the 1st thing in the neighborhood to have any color. it was there for at least 30 years then the last people to own the house tore it out of there. i miss seeing that shrub when i go to visit my parents.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing up we had one at end of driveway. Unfortunately my dad would trim it into a ball. I hate when people give a shrub a unnatural shape.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom called our forsythia the Easter bush. Daffodils were Easter flowers. We just started Lent, they will be long gone here before Easter this year.

Peony were Piney Roses. I can't think of any other "names" she had for flowers but I'm sure she had some others.