Rooting Hydrangea Cutting

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to run to the country house last night, I have not been there in 2 weeks. The yard was filled with blooming Hydrangea :clap:ya:wootEverywhere I looked there was hydrangea in bloom. All of them end of season clearance very cheap. They are one of the few plants I can buy that look half dead, plant late and survive and flower . A woman up the block from me has a amazing shade of blue. I know soil has a lot to do with color, I want this shrub. While walking my dog I stopped to talk to her when she was outside one night. She said I could take some cuttings. I know best way is to lay a branch on ground and let it root, but I don't know this woman and don't feel comfortable asking to do that. What is the best way to root a cutting ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to run to the country house last night, I have not been there in 2 weeks. The yard was filled with blooming Hydrangea :clap:ya:wootEverywhere I looked there was hydrangea in bloom. All of them end of season clearance very cheap. They are one of the few plants I can buy that look half dead, plant late and survive and flower . A woman up the block from me has a amazing shade of blue. I know soil has a lot to do with color, I want this shrub. While walking my dog I stopped to talk to her when she was outside one night. She said I could take some cuttings. I know best way is to lay a branch on ground and let it root, but I don't know this woman and don't feel comfortable asking to do that. What is the best way to root a cutting ?

Sooooo easy, just take the cutting/s and stick in the ground and almost forget about it, (you still have to water it/them :)). Plant it or them where you can keep an eye on it/them, by next spring it/they should be well rooted and you can move to a permanent location. This is the only method I use and it hasn't failed yet.

Annette

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My only hydrangea needs to be moved and after DH "trimming" it down to the ground for the past five years there isn't much left of it...:rant
I was thinking of just tossing it but this gives me hope!
THANK YOU :celebrate

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason I can not grow regular hydrangeas in the ground. I do have an oakleaf hydrangea that is in the ground that does very well.

But I can grow them in 22 inch pots and they do awesome. Same with hostas. They are all potted.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a rooting hormone should I use ?

IMG_20170728_161623.jpg

I think so.

;) You know, I have been in trouble trying to root things where the advice was that it didn't need the hormone.

Steve

Latest posts