Roots How Far Have You Moved From Your Birthplace ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know some menbers have lived all over the world. I have never moved more then 20 mintues from the place I was born. My father has lived over 90 years in the house he lives in now. I was lucky being so close, I spent a lot of time with my family. If you moved away when was last time you visited place where you grew up? Do you still have family or friends there ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me a 150 mile radius from where I was raised. Been SW, straight N and for last 40 years NE.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a while I lived in Seattle, but the rest of the time I have lived within an hour's drive of my birthplace. Midwest small town. It is amazing how many of my classmates still live in the same county they were born in. Probably 50%

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in the army I was 12 times zones away from home, pretty close to as far as I could get, but that wasn't my choice. I went where they told me.

Most of my working life my family (wife and kids) lived about 10 hours away from my birthplace and about 12 hours from my wife's in the New Orleans area. I lived with them most of the time but for about the last ten years I worked a 28/28 schedule. I'd alternate 28 days at home and 28 days at the job site, Africa or Asia. Some of that was only 6 or 7 time zones away, but Asia was 10.

Now that I'm retired, we live about 11 hours from my birth place and 6 hours from hers. We both have family there and visit at least a couple of times a year. We are also about 10 hours away from two of our boys and 6 hours away from the other boy. Being centrally located is a big part of why we settled here but neither of us had much desire to return to our birthplace. We never considered either one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in Carmel California but think of myself as growing up in the Rogue River Valley of southern Oregon. I don't remember Carmel-by-the-Sea or the Monterery Peninsula as a child and my first memories were of my grandmother's farm a couple hundred miles north, in Redding California. But, we only stayed there a year.

In and around Medford Oregon, I grew up but left before graduating from high school. As a young guy, I lived on the California Coast and then came up here to the ID/WA border, both sides! I bounced around, near and far, for several years before being able to settle down a little more. I'm about 1,000 miles from where I was born and 600 miles from where I grew up but I have lived here on the border far longer than anywhere else.

My contacts are limited with those other, long-ago homes. I returned to Oregon many times until about 20 years ago. As the years passed, it kind of became only recognizable by the natural environment of mountains, river and trees. The horizon in that valley seems so very familiar to me but the nostalgia it evokes tends to make me sad. What I remember is distant and what is up-close is unfamiliar ... unless I go to a park :). Or, get the heck outta town!

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
across town from where i lived growing up & my parents still live at. but right across the street from where i was born! i admit the hospital has changed considerably since i was born. there is only a small portion of the original hospital & most of the newer wings have been added over the nearly 40 years since that day!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same postal city address but Spouse and I moved to the country. Dad was a city guy. Had all the farming he wanted by high school. Still, I'm within 15 miles or less of birth site.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
49.3 miles, I just mapped it lol.when I was born we had small ranch in rural Benewah Co. Idaho. We moved away from there in the late 1970s to another home in same Co. We then moved to Spokane Valley Wa. When I was in middle school. When I got married we first lived on a farm a few miles south of Rockford Wa. We then moved about 8 miles to Fairfield Wa. Where we stayed and raised our kids until our recent move to The house my DW grew up in. Which is about 14 miles from our house in Fairfield.

I still have ties to that rural community, my oldest brother is the paster of the country church and has a hobby farm with a flock of sheep there. Another brother owns a medium sized cattle ranch that has been in the family for 2 generations. And I still spend time there quite often visiting old friends and family. I enjoy hunting down there and occasionally "crick fishin" , yes crick fishin that is not a typo lol.

I have 6 siblings 5 brothers 1 sister. All but one out of all seven of us live within 2 hrs of the place where we started out. Maybe it because both my dad and moms families were farmers and we have deep roots in these communities.
We always want to live in this area and we will.

P.S I just told DW in all of her 40++ years she has only managed to move across the hallway lol... Now I gotta run.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my 20s I had a bit of wanderlust and lived a couple of years in VA, and a couple more in TX, but glad I moved back home...even if my family does drive me crazy now and then. This is a nice area, low crime, not too crowded, but still an easy drive to bigger cities with more to see and do.

My dad's people are from a couple counties over and mom's people all grew up here. DH's people are from 3 hours north of here in WV. We moved one county over from our folks when we bought this house. Everyone thought that was sooo far away, lol. My dad still lives in the house I grew up in. It was built by my mom's aunt and her great-aunt lived in the house in front of it. My great-grandma lived a short walk up the street and as soon as I was big enough to go myself, I was up there all the time. Really special memories of the hours spent there.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was born in Norfolk VA naval base was 2 months old when Ma took us to Wisconsin
where all the family reside.. We are the runaways told everyone we moved to Western
Washington in 1968 when I was 8 lots of Cousin's still MN or WI

Latest posts