Rose of Sharon Question?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
During my stay in Portland, a woman brought me several Rose of Sharon blossoms from her garden. They were gorgeous and kept opening up. Finally, someone threw the spent flowers away, unbeknownst to me, thinking they were done for. They were in the trash several hours.

I noticed they were missing from the table and asked where they were. I was horrified to hear he had discarded them, because I wondered whether the stems might root?

I dug them out of the garbage, and they were pretty dried up by then, but I stuck them in water... When I got home, I put them under the grow-light. Today I see new growth, foliage!

So, should I keep them in water on the cupboard all winter, under the grow-light, or should I plant them in the ground now? They would have time to establish some roots outdoors before the first frost, don't you think?

They are small, though. I'd need to find a good place to plant them, protected for the winter, I would think? Or should I put them in a huge pot to ensure great soil? But they might freeze in a pot over the winter? I'm thinking laundry-tub-sized pot? I could bubble wrap it and cover it?

None of the starts I planted last fall made it.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That would be great. I'm in Zone 6-7 Salt Lake City. Should I sow the seeds in the fall? If so, when in the fall?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pm me your address and I will mail some young plants to you when it cools off. I sent some to another member here in middle of summer not sure how they are doing .Ps willn't know what colors the flowers will be.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
P.S. No problem, NyBoy. I like all colors of Rose of Sharon.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nyboy said:
In my NY garden they selfseed like weeds. If you want more I will mail you some when weather cools.
They DO grow like weeds. I weed the sprouts in the early spring, bc that's when I can just pull them out easily. One healthy Rose of Sharon will produce a forest if you don't tend to the volunteers. Also, prune WHENEVER you want to. They are super-hardy. I like how hummingbirds hang around the flowers, which is pretty much spring through summer. Plant them where you can watch the h-birds. :D

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nyboy,

I recall that you sent me some lovely Rose of Sharon starts. I can't remember where I planted them? Did I mention their location to you in an e-mail?

They were pretty good-sized; weren't they?

I found one on my kitten's grave, but I think it's not one of the ones you sent. I wonder whether I planted yours in a tub that is by the chicken coop? I'll go look there now.

Latest posts