Rose pest identification...

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a fair amount of rose bushes in her yard and some of them are exhibiting what you see in the attached photo -- some sort of mildew like stuff on the leaves. If it matters, these bushes are sprinkled with sprinklers (not drip) and not sure if that has any impact on whether this particular disease spreads due to how the water is applied or not.

Thoughts? I suspect this is a common rose ailment as I believe I've seen it before..

KX8C0oB+Ty2h6gYguFBPAQ.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a mild case of powdery mildew, and hard water spotting on the leaves. They also look a bit stressed, which is understandable in your climate.

yes, agreed, that's what i see too. in hot and dry climates powdery mildew can be a tough disease. the bee balm and the false sunflower plants here will start showing it later in the summer. i never spray, if the plants can't survive we'll find something else if is that important to have a plant in that space. after 15-20yrs of not spraying bee balm and false sunflowers they're still there and still get powdery mildew.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whats the best solution for powdery mildew? I've tried personally various sprays on plants to get rid of pests but the toll they take on the plants is almost worse than the infestation itself and in some cases kills the plants completely. I lost a raspberry that way recently..

Latest posts