Rose question.....

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does Pepper Trees cause any problems to roses? The last few years, my roses at work haven't been doing great. Lots of blooms, but the leave have many problems. I spray, but haven't sprayed much this year as its been too hot. So started thinking about all the pepper trees, and wondering........

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not aware of pepper trees causing any sort of problems to other plants. At our old place we had many old pepper trees that I gardened under. To me the biggest problem was surface roots competing in flower beds.

Have you identified what the leaf problems are? Rust, blackspot etc?

Many nurseries have an Ortho problem solver book that you can reference. It has photos of different plant problems
so you can identify and then treat appropriately.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of roses ? I gave up on most because of all the disease problems. Would start with black spot on leaf, then leaf turn yellow then fall off. Got tired of looking at rose sticks ripped them out

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Roses love high nitrogen fertilizer. I put horse manure around mine straight from the...pasture, and my roses love it. If they are well fed, they are able to withstand infections better.
ALSO, I have read here that they should be planted in the spring and really well watered so that they can put down good roots. Remember, if you live in zones 3-6 there will be a hard freeze next winter. This is what kills mums that you buy and plant in the Fall, no good root growth.

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Many different roses, many different leaf problems, I do spray, but this year just seems worse, so I was thinking about the trees. I think it might be not enough air flow, so will trim trees, and lower the tall hedge to get more air in, and we have had much hotter weather this year too.....

Latest posts