Roses First Timer - HELP

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello there!

I live in the Boston area and I saved this small rose bush from my sister (hehe). I'll spare you the details other than, I cut it way back and re-potted it (into the pot shown) and it flourished. Now winter is here and I don't know how to care for it in the colder months.

I have had it in the house for about a month now because we had a frost already and I didn't want it to die. Someone told be if it was in the ground it would likely have been fine outside. But, because it was so sick when I got it, I cared for it in pots under lights until I brought it outside.

Now what haha? Am I supposed to cut it back, or store it in the dark, or anything like that? Some of the leave started dying and falling off outside, before I even brought it in. Since bringing it in, leaves have continued to die and fall off, but otherwise I think it looks OK.

These are some before pictures, from mid summer, just so you know what it looks like. I can take and post more current pictures this weekend.

Thanks!
h

Attachments

• 2016-06-07 19.23.23.jpg
    2016-06-07 19.23.23.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 2016-06-07 19.23.17.jpg
    2016-06-07 19.23.17.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 196

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roses are normally so hardy outside, I rarely hear of someone trying to keep one inside over the winter. Leaves will fall off when you bring a plant inside due to drier air and less light. Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it was sold as a potted plant it will not be winter hardy. They are grown for use once and throw away. That does not mean that you cannot keep it going. If it is a hardy rose you have lost the window for planting it and it over wintering as it needs to develop a root system long before now. If you decide to plant it outdoors anyway, I would surround it with chicken wire. Hill the crown deeply under soil and fill the enclosure with leaves.
As a potted plant that is now flourishing try repotting it in a slightly bigger pot with good drainage. Give it fertilizer and avoid over watering. Roses are subject to disease. It is likely to start budding up after the pruning.You can try Need which is an organic insecticide and fungicide. You can also use a system insecticide/ fungicide but be sure it is indoor safe.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would be buried in the ground along with the pot . It is necessary to insulate the top roses special cloth to heat at plants. Spring pull out of the ground pot. Then you can decide - keep in a pot or planted in the ground. The top can freeze. but on the base of the plant usually grows young branches.

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Roses are normally so hardy outside, I rarely hear of someone trying to keep one inside over the winter. Leaves will fall off when you bring a plant inside due to drier air and less light. Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion.
I was nervous that because it was in a pot, the roots would freeze.
I plan on putting it outside next year :)

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If it was sold as a potted plant it will not be winter hardy. They are grown for use once and throw away. That does not mean that you cannot keep it going. If it is a hardy rose you have lost the window for planting it and it over wintering as it needs to develop a root system long before now. If you decide to plant it outdoors anyway, I would surround it with chicken wire. Hill the crown deeply under soil and fill the enclosure with leaves.
As a potted plant that is now flourishing try repotting it in a slightly bigger pot with good drainage. Give it fertilizer and avoid over watering. Roses are subject to disease. It is likely to start budding up after the pruning.You can try Need which is an organic insecticide and fungicide. You can also use a system insecticide/ fungicide but be sure it is indoor safe.
Well, it was flourishing this summer after I cut it way back and gave it lots of love. Now that winter is here, it's really slowed and is losing leaves. I'll post a picture of the card when I get home :). It only says what it is and has basic care instructions. I'd like to keep it as long as possible :). I saved it :D.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have over-wintered rose plants here in Wisconsin. Mine did lose their leaves only to regrow them in the spring as the days lengthened and the sun warmed the room. I just kept them in a dark place in a room that was cold but above 40 degrees on the coldest winter nights. Water sparingly to keep from drying out and wait for nature to take its course.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it was flourishing this summer after I cut it way back and gave it lots of love. Now that winter is here, it's really slowed and is losing leaves. I'll post a picture of the card when I get home :). It only says what it is and has basic care instructions. I'd like to keep it as long as possible :). I saved it :D.
Was it outdoors and they brought inside? This could trigger what you describe. Also overwatering.

Latest posts